Dr Tracy Aze
Lecturer: Marine Micropaleontology
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: T.Aze@leeds.ac.uk
Affiliation: Earth Surface Science Institute
- 2014 - present: Lecturer in Marine Micropalaeontology (University of Leeds)
- 2013 - 2014: Research Fellow (Oxford University Museum of Natural History)
- 2011 - 2013: Postdoctoral Research Associate, UK Ocean Acidification Research Programme (Cardiff University)
- 2007 - 2011: PhD Palaeobiology and Palaeoclimatology (Cardiff University)
- 2005 - 2007: MRes Global Environmental Change (University of Plymouth)
- 2002 - 2005: BSc Geological Sciences (University of Plymouth)
The Micropalaeontological Society (Foraminifera Group Secretary and Member) http://www.tmsoc.org/
Associate Editor PALAIOS (2016-2020)
My research is at the interface of palaeobiology and palaeoclimatology. Using the marine plankton fossil record I investigate evolutionary trends, the interactions between species and the response of organisms to environmental change. My current research is focused upon determining the factors that influence extinction risk during the Cenozoic (65 million years to the present day) to determine whether there are species or ecosystems that are more vulnerable to extinction in the face of rapid environmental change.
I am currently teach on the following modules:
SOEE 1570 Geology 1 (Earth History)
SOEE 2110 Introduction to Oceanography
SOEE 3610/SOEE 5617M Oceanography in the Earth System (module leader)
SOEE 1433 Water in the Environment
SOEE 1590 Year 1 Tutorials
SOEE 2095 Year 2 Tutorials
Geosphere Representative for the NERC Leeds-York Doctoral Training Program
- Aze T; Pearson PN; Dickson AJ; Badger MPS; Bown PR; Pancost RD; Gibbs SJ; Huber BT; Leng MJ; Coe AL; Cohen AS; Foster GL (2014) Extreme warming of tropical waters during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, Geology, 42, pp.739-742. doi: 10.1130/G35637.1
- Aze T; Barry J; Bellerby RGJ; Brander L; Byrne M; Dupont S; Gattuso J-P; Gibbs S; Hansson L; Hattam C; others (2014) An Updated Synthesis of the Impacts of Ocean Acidification on Marine Biodiversity, CBD Technical Series, 75, .
- Aze T; Ezard THG; Purvis A; Coxall HK; Stewart DRM; Wade BS; Pearson PN (2013) Identifying anagenesis and cladogenesis in the fossil record, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 110, .
- Etienne RS; Haegeman B; Stadler T; Aze T; Pearson PN; Purvis A; Phillimore AB (2012) Diversity-dependence brings molecular phylogenies closer to agreement with the fossil record, Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 279, pp.1300-1309. doi: 10.1098/rspb.2011.1439
- Ezard THG; Pearson PN; Aze T; Purvis A (2012) The meaning of birth and death (in macroevolutionary birth-death models), Biology letters, 8, pp.139-142.
- Aze T; Ezard THG; Purvis A; Coxall HK; Stewart DRM; Wade BS; Pearson PN (2011) A phylogeny of Cenozoic macroperforate planktonic foraminifera from fossil data, Biological Reviews, 86, pp.900-927.
- Ezard THG; Aze T; Pearson PN; Purvis A (2011) Interplay between changing climate and species" ecology drives macroevolutionary dynamics, Science, 332, pp.349-351.
- Hart MB; Aze T; Hudson W; Smart CW (2007) Planktic foraminifera from the proposed GSSP for the Oxfordian Stage: Redcliff Point, near Weymouth, GEOSCIENCE IN SOUTH WEST ENGLAND, 11, pp.273-273.
- Franke W; Hart MB; Aze T; Hudson W; Smart CW; Gallois RW; Leslie AB; Burt CE; Chacksfield BC; Waters CN; others (2007) The Scott Simpson Lecture, Geoscience in south-west England, 11, pp.263-272.