Dr Sarah-Jane Lock
c/o Alan Gadian
Email address: email@example.com
Affiliation: Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
Currently, working on the UM Dynamical Core (Gung-Ho) project, Phase 1 (2011-2013) - researching numerical methods for use in the next generation dynamical core for weather and climate forecasting (PI: Alan Gadian / Stephen Mobbs). The project is a collaboration between the UK Met Office, the Science & Technology Facilities Centre and several UK universities.
Work also continues in exploring cut-cell methods for representing orography in atmospheric models, which commenced during my PhD:
- PhD project (2011-current): Beth Good (supervisors: Alan Gadian, Andrew Ross, Sarah-Jane Lock) exploring methods for simulating turbulent flows over steep terrain;
- Support under the WRF Development Testbed Center Visitor Program 2009 and 2011 from the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR, US) enables further progress in collaboration with Joe Klemp & Bill Skamarock (NCAR).
2008 - PhD, University of Leeds; Supervisors: Alan Gadian, Alison Coals; entitled "Development of a new numerical model for studying microscale atmospheric dynamics"
1999 - Msci Theoretical Physics (I), Queen Mary, University of London
Member of Royal Meteorological Society & Institute of Physics
- numerical methods for atmospheric dynamics;
- cut-cell representation of orography in atmospheric numerical models;
- finite-volume methods for irregularly-shaped grids;
- time-stepping methods, in particular, explicit schemes;
- numerical analyses of time-integration methods.
Gung-Ho! (UM Dynamical Core project): 2011-2013 (Researcher Co-Investigator)
Alan Gadian (PI) / Stephen Mobbs (Co-I)
Featured in Queen Mary University of Leeds Physics Careers guide (November 2011): link to PDF from http://ph.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/careers
- Lock SJ; Bitzer H-W; Coals A; Gadian A; Mobbs S (2012) Demonstration of a cut-cell representation of 3D orography for studies of atmospheric flows over very steep hills, Monthly Weather Review, 140, pp.411-424. doi: 10.1175/MWR-D-11-00069.1
- Lock SJ (2011) Next generation modelling techniques for the atmosphere and ocean, Weather, 66, pp.251-252. doi: 10.1002/wea.807
- Bennett LJ; Blyth AM; Burton RR; Gadian AM; Weckwerth TM; Behrendt A; Di Girolamo P; Dorninger M; Lock SJ; Smith VH; Mobbs SD (2011) Initiation of convection over the Black Forest mountains during COPS IOP15a, Q J ROY METEOR SOC, 137, pp.176-189. doi: 10.1002/qj.760