Dr Susanna Ebmeier
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: S.K.Ebmeier@leeds.ac.uk
Affiliation: Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics
May 2016 - onwards: Leverhulme Fellow, Univeristy of Leeds
Apr 2015 - May 2016: European Space Agency Living Planet Fellow, University of Bristol
Sep 2012 - March 2015: STREVA & COMET Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Bristol
Oct 2008 - Sep 2012: DPhil studentship, University of Oxford
Jan 2012 - Apr 2012: NERC Policy Fellow, Scottish Parliament Research Centre
DPhil (awarded March 2013), Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford.
BSc (Hons.) Geophysics (awarded July 2008), University of Edinburgh.
I investigate different aspects of volcanic activity using satellite remote sensing. I am interested in the physical processes that control the character of volcanic activity, including magma storage, edifice growth & collapse, and volcanic interactions. An important aspect of my research using satellite imagery is exploring how it can be made useful for volcano monitoring and assessing volcanic hazards. I also have an interest in the ways in which the emission of gases affects the Earth's environment.
Current PhD students:
Edna Dualeh, starting October 2017, "Observing volcanic eruption dynamics from satellite radar intensity data"
2014-2015, University of Bristol, Kirsten Stephens, "Transient deformation associated with explosive eruption measured at Masaya volcano (Nicaragua) using Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar"
I am leading the first year tutorial module for geophysicists from 2016/17. This module will involve the development of scientific writing and presentations skills, opportunities to practise reading scientific papers and exercises in quantitative reasoning and critical analysis.
I also teach 2nd year Remote Sensing for Geology and Geography Students (part of modules SOEE2107/2094). I am also giving a lecture on InSAR for observing reservoir processes as part of module SOEE513M. Slides are available on the VLE for those registered on the modules.
Past MGeophys students and projects:
2016-17, Rob Watson, "Topographic analysis of volcanic structures on Chiles and Cerro Negro volcanoes using DEMs derived from TanDEM-X bistatic satellite radar"
- Delgado F; Pritchard ME; Ebmeier S; González P; Lara L (2017) Recent unrest (2002-2015) imaged by space geodesy at the highest risk Chilean volcanoes: Villarrica, Llaima, and Calbuco (Southern Andes), Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, . doi: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2017.05.020
- Naranjo MF; Ebmeier SK; Vallejo S; Ramón P; Mothes P; Biggs J; Herrera F (2016) Mapping and measuring lava volumes from 2002 to 2009 at El Reventador Volcano, Ecuador, from field measurements and satellite remote sensing, Journal of Applied Volcanology, 5, . doi: 10.1186/s13617-016-0048-z
- Ebmeier SK (2016) Application of independent component analysis to multitemporal InSAR data with volcanic case studies, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 121, pp.8970-8986. doi: 10.1002/2016JB013765
- Ebmeier SK; Elliott JR; Nocquet JM; Biggs J; Mothes P; Jarrín P; Yépez M; Aguaiza S; Lundgren P; Samsonov SV (2016) Shallow earthquake inhibits unrest near Chiles-Cerro Negro volcanoes, Ecuador-Colombian border, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 450, pp.283-291. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2016.06.046
- Arnold DWD; Biggs J; Wadge G; Ebmeier SK; Odbert HM; Poland MP (2016) Dome growth, collapse, and valley fill at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, from 1995 to 2013: Contributions from satellite radar measurements of topographic change, Geosphere, 12, pp.1300-1315. doi: 10.1130/GES01291.1
- Parker AL; Biggs J; Walters RJ; Ebmeier SK; Wright TJ; Teanby NA; Lu Z (2015) Systematic assessment of atmospheric uncertainties for InSAR data at volcanic arcs using large-scale atmospheric models: Application to the Cascade volcanoes, United States, Remote Sensing of Environment, 170, pp.102-114. doi: 10.1016/j.rse.2015.09.003
- Muller C; del Potro R; Biggs J; Gottsmann J; Ebmeier SK; Guillaume S; Cattin P-H; Van der Laat R (2015) Integrated velocity field from ground and satellite geodetic techniques: application to Arenal volcano, Geophysical Journal International, 200, pp.861-877. doi: 10.1093/gji/ggu444
- Ebmeier SK; Biggs J; Muller C; Avard G (2014) Thin-skinned mass-wasting responsible for widespread deformation at Arenal volcano, Frontiers in Earth Science, 2, . doi: 10.3389/feart.2014.00035
- Ebmeier SK; Sayer AM; Grainger RG; Mather TA; Carboni E (2014) Systematic satellite observations of the impact of aerosols from passive volcanic degassing on local cloud properties, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 14, pp.10601-10618. doi: 10.5194/acp-14-10601-2014
- Biggs J; Ebmeier SK; Aspinall WP; Lu Z; Pritchard ME; Sparks RSJ; Mather TA (2014) Global link between deformation and volcanic eruption quantified by satellite imagery, Nature Communications, 5, . doi: 10.1038/ncomms4471
- Caricchi L; Biggs J; Annen C; Ebmeier S (2014) The influence of cooling, crystallisation and re-melting on the interpretation of geodetic signals in volcanic systems, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 388, pp.166-174. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2013.12.002
- Ebmeier SK; Biggs J; Mather TA; Amelung F (2013) Applicability of InSAR to tropical volcanoes: Insights from central america, Geological Society Special Publication, 380, pp.15-37. doi: 10.1144/SP380.2
- Ebmeier SK; Biggs J; Mather TA; Amelung F (2013) On the lack of InSAR observations of magmatic deformation at Central American volcanoes, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 118, pp.2571-2585. doi: 10.1002/jgrb.50195
- Ebmeier SK; Biggs J; Mather TA; Elliott JR; Wadge G; Amelung F (2012) Measuring large topographic change with InSAR: Lava thicknesses, extrusion rate and subsidence rate at Santiaguito volcano, Guatemala, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 335-336, pp.216-225. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2012.04.027
- Ebmeier SK; Biggs J; Mather TA; Wadge G; Amelung F (2010) Steady downslope movement on the western flank of Arenal volcano, Costa Rica, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 11, . doi: 10.1029/2010GC003263