Dr Pablo Munoz
Lecturer: Business & Sustainable Change
Email address: P.Munoz@leeds.ac.uk
Affiliation: Sustainability Research Institute
I am a Lecturer in Business and Sustainable Change and Programme Leader for the MSc in Sustainability and Business. My research focuses on purpose-driven entrepreneurship, which involves understanding how, why and with what consequences entrepreneurial individuals and communities address wicked problems and create societal and ecological value through business activities; with or without economic return. Within this field, my research explores three themes: sustainable/social entrepreneurship, enterprise and local development, and alternative forms of organizing and value exchange. Across these streams I look at the venturing process: its determinants, mechanisms and outcomes, individual and collective decision-making, territorial and social embeddedness, and the overall contribution of this form of entrepreneurship to sustainable development.
My work has been published in top-tier management journals, such as Journal of Business Venturing, California Management Review, International Small Business Journal, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Cleaner Production and Organization & Environment. My work has also been presented in relevant academic conferences, such as Academy of Management Conference, NYU-Stern Conference on Social Entrepreneurship, International Conference on Sustainability Transitions, GRONEN Conference, and Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, where I recently received the Dale G. Mayer Award for the most relevant research in social entrepreneurship in 2014.
I'm in the editorial review board of the International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research, and contribute as ad-hoc reviewer to the Journal of Business Venturing, Academy of Management Perspectives, California Management Review, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Business & Society, among others. I am also a visting professor at the School of Economics and Business, Universidad del Desarrollo in Chile and serve as Non-Executive Director at Balloon Latam, a social enterprise that works with local entrepreneurs across Latin America to improve their businesses and quality of life.
2013: PhD in Entrepreneurship, Newcastle University
2010: MSc in Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship, Newcastle University
2005: MBA, IEDE Business School
Academy of Management. Divisions: Entrepreneurship, and Organizations and Natural Environment
Alliance for Research on Corporate Sustainability
The Network for Business Sustainability (www.nbs.net)
Editorial Review Board: International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research
Guest editor, Special Issue on Advancing Sustainable Entrepreneurship through Substantive Research. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research. Nicolopoulou, K., Janssen, F., Munoz, P. & Hockerts, K.
Ad-hoc Reviewer: Journal of Business Venturing, Academy of Management Perspectives, California Management Review, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Journal of Social Entrepreneurship, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, Journal of Small Business Management, Journal of Cleaner Production, Journal of Business Venturing Insights, and Business & Society.
MSc in Sustainability and Business - Programme Leader
SOEE5042 Sustainable Venturing and Innovation - Module Leader
SOEE5498 Sustainability and Local Enterprise: Patagonia Field Course - Module Leader
SOEE5341 Issues and Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility - Module Leader
SOEE1390 Introduction to Business, Environment and Corporate Responsibility
I am always interested in supervising PhD students who want to study sustainable entrepreneurship, local development and alternative forms of organising and value exchange.
Current PhD students:
Gauthier Guerin, SRI Leeds (with Dr. Lucie Middlemiss) - Housing Cooperatives
Virva Salmivaara, Aalto University Business School (with Dr. Ewald Kibler) - Community-based Entrepreneurship
Dr. Steffen Farny, Post-Doc Aalto University Business School (external supervisor with Dr. Ewald Kibler)
Principal investigator. Climate Change Risks and Opportunities for B Corporations in Latin America 108270-001. In collaboration with Sistema B (B Labs Latam). Funded by IDRC Canada
Co-investigator. Measurement and evaluation of regional entrepreneurial ecosystems 15PES-44401. In collaboration with Universidad del Desarrollo. Funded by Production Development Corporation CORFO Chile
Principal investigator. The Structure and Dynamics of Social Entrepreneurship in Chile 15PES-44402. In collaboration with Universidad del Desarrollo. Funded by Production Development Corporation CORFO Chile. Download the full report in spanish or english
Co-investigator. B Corps and Climate Change in Latin America. 108133-001. Funded by IDRC Canada
Research coordinator. Building wide partnerships within and beyond the BCorp world. Network for Business Sustainability and Sistema B. Funded by Multilateral Investment Fund, Inter American Development Bank
van Gelderen, M., Kibler, E., Kautonen, T., Munoz, P., Vincent, J. 2017. Mindfulness and Taking Entrepreneurial Action. 2017 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Oklahoma, USA
Amorós, JE. Mandakovic, V. Munoz, P. 2017. One Size Does Not Fit All: A Complexity-Based (Re)Examination of Entrepreneurial Ecosystems. 2017 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Oklahoma, USA
Munoz, P. Kimmitt, J. 2016. Inclusive Innovation through the Lens of Instrumental Freedoms. International Social Innovation Research Conference. Glasgow Caledonian University, UK.
Amorós, J. Mandakovic, V. Munoz, P. 2016. One size does not fit all: revisiting regional entrepreneurship policy for enhanced entrepreneurial ecosystems. ICSB World Conference on Entrepreneurship, NY, USA.
Cohen, B. Munoz, P. 2016. Mapping out the Sharing Economy: A Configurational Approach to Sharing Business Modeling. 2nd International Workshop on the Sharing Economy. ESCP Paris, France.
Munoz, P. Kimmitt, J. 2015, Re-thinking the Ethics of Inclusive Innovation. International Social Innovation Research Conference. University of York, UK.
Munoz, P. Kibler, E. 2015. Explaining the Effect of Local Institutional Forces on Social Entrepreneurship: A Fuzzy-Set Approach. GIKA conference 2015. Valencia, Spain.
Cohen, B. Munoz, P. 2015. Sharing Cities and Sustainable Consumption and Production: Towards an Integrated Framework. International Workshop on the Sharing Economy. Utrecht University, Netherlands.
Munoz, P. Kibler, E. 2014 Legitimation Strategies in the Development of Sustainable Hybrid Organizations. 2014 GRONEN Research Conference. Helsinki, Finland.
Munoz, P. Cacciotti, G. 2014 Understanding Failure and Exit in Social Entrepreneurship: A Protocol Analysis of Coping Strategies. 2014 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference. London ON, Canada.
Cohen, B. Munoz, P. 2014 Towards a Theory of Civic Entrepreneurship: A Complexity Science Perspective. ICSB World Conference on Entrepreneurship, Dublin, Ireland.
Munoz, P. Kibler, E. 2013. The Formation of Opportunity Feasibility Beliefs in Social Entrepreneurship: A Configurational Analysis of Institutional Conditions. 2013 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference. Lyon, France.
Munoz, P. 2012. The Meaning of Entrepreneurial Sustainability: An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis. 9th NYU-Stern Conference on Social Entrepreneurship, New York NY, USA
Munoz, P. Dimov, D. 2012. Rethinking the Recognition of Opportunities for Sustainable Development: the Role of Moral Intensity. 2012 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference. Forth Worth TX, USA
Munoz, P. 2012. A fuzzy Set Approach to Empirical Typologies in Sustainability Entrepreneurship. 2012 Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference. Forth Worth TX, USA
Munoz, P. 2011. Developing an Empirical Typology of Sustainability Entrepreneurs. 8th NYU-Stern Conference on Social Entrepreneurship, New York NY, USA
Munoz, P. Dimov, D., 2011. Beyond Financial Performance and Corporate Greening: Mapping out the Research Field of Sustainability Entrepreneurship. 6th European Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Aberdeen, UK. 684-691
Novaira, N., Munoz, P. 2011. Rethinking Innovation Networks in Small-sized Regions: The Case of the Software Industry in Rafaela, Argentina. XVI Annual Meeting of the SMEs Network Mercosur. Entre Rios, Argentina.
Munoz, P. 2011. Developing an empirical typology of sustainability entrepreneurs. ACRN Conference on Social Entrepreneurship Perspectives, Linz, Austria.
Munoz, P. Lu, L. 2011. Innovation Networks: Exploring Inter-organizational Dynamics in Open Innovation Environments. IEEE - International Technology Management Conference, San Jose CA, USA. 845-854.
Munoz, P. 2011. Socio-technical Change, Institutional Entrepreneurship and the Legitimation of Promising Technologies. 2nd International Conference on Sustainability Transitions, Lund, Sweden.
Munoz, P. Lu, L. 2010. The Paradoxes of Innovation Networks: An Empirical Examination of Network Internal Dynamics and Governance in an Open Innovation Business Centre. International Conference on Networks, Learning and Entrepreneurship, Aberystwyth, UK.
Selected popular press
Sustainable Business: The secret of sustainable success. The Telegraph, March/2017
What's a “Responsible Sharing Economy Startup”? Shareable, Mar/2016
Making Sense of the Many Business Models in the Sharing Economy. Fast Company, Apr/2016
- Munoz PA; Cohen B (2017) The Making of the Urban Entrepreneur, California Management Review, 59, pp.71-91. doi: 10.1177/0008125616683953
- Munoz P; Cohen B (2017) Towards a Social-Ecological Understanding of Sustainable Venturing, Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 7, pp.1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jbvi.2016.12.001
- Munoz PA; Dimov D (2017) Moral Intensity as Catalyst for Opportunities for Sustainable Development, In: Guerber AJ; Markman GD; Su SCY (Ed) Sustainability, Society, Business Ethics and Entrepreneurship, The World Scientific Reference on Entrepreneurship, 3, World Scientific Publishing, pp.225-247. doi: 10.1142/9789813220614_0009
- Munoz P (2017) Beyond Markets: Entrepreneurship in the Civil Society, The European Business Review, .
- Munoz P; Cohen B (2017) Mapping out the Sharing Economy: A Configurational Approach to Sharing Business Modeling, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, . doi: 10.1016/j.techfore.2017.03.035
- Munoz PA; Kimmitt J; Serey T; Velazquez L (2016) The Structure and Dynamics of Social Entrepreneurship in Chile 2016, .
- Cohen B; Muñoz P (2016) Sharing cities and sustainable consumption and production: towards an integrated framework, Journal of Cleaner Production, 134, pp.87-97. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.07.133
- Munoz PA; Kibler E (2016) Institutional Complexity and Social Entrepreneurship: A Fuzzy-Set Approach, Journal of Business Research, 69, pp.1314-1318. doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.10.098
- Cohen B; Munoz PA (2016) The Emergence of the Urban Entrepreneur How the Growth of Cities and the Sharing Economy Are Driving a New Breed of Innovators, ABC Clio Praeger.
- Cohen B; Munoz PA (2015) Toward a Theory of Purpose-Driven Urban Entrepreneurship, Organization and Environment, 28, pp.264-285. doi: 10.1177/1086026615600883
- Kibler E; Fink M; Lang R; Munoz PA (2015) Place attachment and social legitimacy: Revisiting the sustainable entrepreneurship journey, Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 3, pp.24-29. doi: 10.1016/j.jbvi.2015.04.001
- Little C; Felzensztein C; Gimmon E; Muñoz P (2015) The business management of the Chilean salmon farming industry, Marine Policy, 54, pp.108-117. doi: 10.1016/j.marpol.2014.12.020
- Muñoz P; Dimov D (2015) The call of the whole in understanding the development of sustainable ventures, Journal of Business Venturing, 30, pp.632-654. doi: 10.1016/j.jbusvent.2014.07.012
- Rodrigo P; Muñoz P; Wright A (2015) Transitions dynamics in context: Key factors and alternative paths in the sustainable development of nations, Journal of Cleaner Production, 94, pp.221-234. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.01.057
- Munoz PA; Cacciotti G (2014) Understanding Failure and Exit in Social Entrepreneurship: A Protocol Analysis of Coping Strategies, Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, 34, pp.596-611.
- Munoz PA (2013) The Distinctive Importance of Sustainable Entrepreneurship, Current Opinion in Creativity, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 2, . doi: 10.11565/cuocient.v2i1.26
- Munoz P; Kibler E (2013) The Formation of Opportunity Feasibility Beliefs in Social Entrepreneurship: A Configurational Analysis of Institutional Conditions, Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, 33, .
- Munoz PA; Lu L (2011) Interorganizational networks and open innovation environments: addressing emerging paradoxes, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 12, . doi: 10.5367/ijei.2011.0051
- Cohen B; Munoz PA (Accepted) Entering Conscious Consumer Markets: Towards a New Generation of Sustainability Strategies, California Management Review, .
- Munoz PA () Opportunity development process in sustainability entrepreneurship, .
- Munoz P; Cohen B (Accepted) Entrepreneurial Narratives in Sustainable Venturing: Beyond People, Profit and Planet, Journal of Small Business Management, .
- Kimmitt J; Munoz PA (Accepted) Entrepreneurship and Financial Inclusion through the Lens of Instrumental Freedoms, International Small Business Journal, .