Dr Jonathan R. Weiss
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Email address: J.R.Weiss@leeds.ac.uk
Affiliation: Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics
I am a postdoctoral research fellow at the Center for Observation and Modeling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tectonics (COMET), School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds.
For my research I employ a variety of novel geological and geophysical techniques to investigate problems in active crustal deformation. My current work is focused on using InSAR and GPS data to study interseismic strain accumulation and seismic hazard across the Alpine-Himalayan belt.
I completed postgraduate work at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, studying rapid continental extension in the Gulf of Corinth, Greece for my M.S. and orogenic wedge deformation across the active fold-and-thrust belt of southern Bolivia for my Ph.D.
I also spent a number of years using multibeam sonar to map shallow coral reef ecosystems around the U.S. Pacific Islands while working for the UH-NOAA Joint Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research.
I received a B.S. in Geology from the College of William and Mary in Viriginia.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, COMET, School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds, Jul 2016-Present
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dept. of Geology and Geophysics, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2016
Seafloor Mapping Specialist, UH-NOAA Coral Reef Ecosystem Division, Nov 2004-Aug 2010
Sonar/Data Systems Specialist, Hawaii Mapping Research Group, Jul-Nov 2004
Ph.D., Geology and Geophysics, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2016
M.S., Geology and Geophysics, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2004
B.S., Geology, The College of William and Mary in Virginia, 2000
American Geophysical Union (2000-Present)
Society of Exploration Geophysics (2000-2015)
Geological Society of America (2000-2013)
- Integrated field, remote sensing, and numerical studies applied to active tectonics
- Deformation and seismic hazard associated with fault systems in continental interiors
- Eurasian and Arabian Plate tectonics
- Probabilistic approaches to geologic/geophysical data analysis
- Structural, tectonic, and climatic controls on geomorphology and landscape evolution
- Island archipelago and hot spot volcano evolution
- Weiss, J.R., G. Ito, J-A. Olive, B.A. Brooks, G.F. Moore, J.H. Foster. Formation of the frontal zone of accretionary wedges by top-down propagation of the protothrust, submitted to Geology.
- Weiss, J.R., B.A. Brooks, J.H. Foster, M. Bevis, A. Echalar, D. Caccamise, J. Heck, R. Smalley, G. Vergani. Isolating active orogenic wedge deformation in the southern Subandes of Bolivia, JGR-Solid Earth, doi:10.1002/2016JB013145.
- Weiss, J.R., B.A. Brooks, G. Vergani, J.R. Arrowsmith (2015) Spatial and temporal distribution of deformation at the front of the Andean orogenic wedge in southern Bolivia, JGR-Solid Earth, doi:10.1002/2014JB011763.
- Taylor, B., J.R. Weiss, A.M. Goodliffe, M. Sachpazi, M. Laigle, A. Hirn (2011) The structures, stratigraphy, and evolution of the Gulf of Corinth, Greece, Geophysical Journal Intl., 185(11), 1189-1219.
- Wessel, P., Anderson, T., Austin, R., Benediktsdotter, A., Chandler, M.T., Conley, M.M., Kim, S-S., Michaud, R.L., Rumpf, M.E., Sleeper, J.D., Weiss, J.R., (2009) Seminar 2.0: Learning With Skype and Video Podcasts, Eos Trans. AGU, 90(17), 145-147.
- Weiss, J.R., J. Miller, E. Hirsch, J. Rooney, L. Wedding, A. Friedlander (2009) Geology and Benthic Habitats. In: A Marine Biogeographic Assessment of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, report prepared by the NOAA Biogeography Branch.
- Weiss, J.R., J. Miller, J. Rooney (2009) Seafloor characterization using multibeam and optical data at French Frigate Shoals, Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Proc. 11th Intl. Coral Reef Symposium, Ft. Lauderdale, July 2008, 662-666.
- Rooney, J., P. Wessel, R. Hoeke, J.R. Weiss, J. Baker, F. Parrish, C. Fletcher, J. Chojnacki, M.O. Garcia, P. Vroom (2008) Geology and geomorphology of coral reefs of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. In: Riegl, B., Dodge, R.E., (eds.), Coral Reefs of the USA. Springer, Berlin, 519-571.
- Maragos, J., J. Miller, J. Gove, E. DeMartini, A.M. Friedlander, S. Godwin, C. Musburger, M. Timmers, R. Tsuda, P. Vroom, E. Flint, E. Lundblad, J.R. Weiss, P. Ayotte, E. Sala, S. Sandin, S. McTee, T. Wass, D. Siciliano, R. Brainard, D. Obvura, S. Ferguson, B. Mundy (2008) US Coral Reefs in the Line and Phoenix Islands, Central Pacific Ocean: History, Geology, Oceanography, and Biology. In: Riegl, B., Dodge, R.E., (eds.), Coral Reefs of the USA. Springer, Berlin, 595-641.
- Zelt, B.C., B. Taylor, J.R. Weiss, A.M. Goodliffe, M. Sachpazi, A. Hirn (2004) Streamer Tomography velocity models for the Gulf of Corinth and the Gulf of Itea, Greece, Geophysical Journal Intl., 159, 333-346.