Dr Jason Harvey
NERC Advanced Research Fellow/Lecturer in Geochemistry
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: email@example.com
Affiliation: Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics
10/2012 onwards: Lecturer in Geochemistry and NERC Advanced Research Fellow, University of Leeds
Visiting Investigator, Carnegie Institution Washington (Department of Terrestrial Magnetism), Washington DC, USA. 2013 onwards. Re-Os-Pb geochronology of mantle sulphides; investigating the scale of mantle heterogeneity
Blaustein Visiting Professor, Stanford University, CA, USA. Awarded 2012. Mantle neodymium isotope heterogeneity: analytical resolution at the grain scale?
10/2010 to 10/2012: Research fellow in isotope geochemistry, University of Leeds
2009 to 2010: PDRA, The Centre for Earth, Planetary, Space and Astronomical Research (CEPSAR), The Open University
2008 to 2015: Associate lecturer (Earth Sciences), The Open University.
2007 to 2009: Visiting researcher / Sessional lecturer, School of Earth & Planetary Sciences, Birckbeck College, University of London
2006 to 2007: Thermal ionisation mass spectrometry specialist, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA.
2005 PhD: "Messengers from the mantle: unravelling the effects of melt depletion and metasomatism in continental and oceanic peridotite using Re-Os isotopes
2001: BSc Hons (Dunelm) Geology, Durham University.
Chair, Geochemistry special interest group of the Geological Society of London / Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland
Member of American Geophysical Union since 2004
Member of the Geochemistry Society since 2004
Elected Fellow of The Geological Society of London in 2005
Member of The Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland since 2011
Member of the Mineralogical Society of America since 2014
Member of the European Association of Geochemists since 2015
My research focuses on chemical and isotopic heterogeneity in the mantle. In particular, I am interested in determining the magnitude and spatial distribution of such heterogeneities and determining the implications of these anomalous compositions in various tectonic settings. I use a variety of isotope systems to investigate these problems and collaborate with a number of research groups in Europe and the US. My current research interests are relatively diverse but have a common peridotite theme:
The Pb paradox and Os isotopic gap: the role of mantle sulphides as refractory domains. With Steve Shirey (Carnegie Institution, Washington) Jessica Warren (Stanford University), Al Brandon (University of Houston), Marjorie Wilson (University of Leeds), Janne Koorneeff (Vrije University)
The effects of melt depletion, metasomatism, and supergene weathering on S-Se-Te and PGE in pyroxenite xenoliths from Kilbourne Hole, NM. With Stephan König (University of Bonn), Ambre Luguet (University of Bonn)
Are Ti isotope ratios fractionated by oxide-silicate pairs during partial melting? With Marc-Alban Millet (University of Durham)
Pt-Re-Os systematics of abyssal peridotites. With James Day and Diana Brown (Scripps Institution of Oceanograpy, UCSD).
Stable Os isotope systematics in the Earth’s mantle. With Helen Williams, Marc-Alban Millet, Fienke Nann (University of Durham).
Strontium isotope disequilibrium between ocean island basalt olivine phenocrysts and the melt inclusions they contain. With Matt Jackson and Andrew Reinhard (UCSB)
Controls on the high PGE content of primary spinel. With Lewis Whitely, Richard Walshaw (University of Leeds), Chris Dale (University of Durham), Samantha Hammond (Open University).
The effects of melt depletion, metasomatism and refertilization on Li and its isotopes in peridotite xenoliths. With Tomáš Magna (Czech Geological Survey)
The water content of nominally anhydrous mantle minerals. With Lilley Schaffer (University of Houston), Al Brandon (University of Houston), Anne Peslier (NASA)
Nd isotope heterogeneity at the grain scale in the mantle. With Ethan Baxter (Boston University) Matt Jackson (University of California, Santa Barbara), Jon Davidson (Durham University) Jessica Warren (Stanford University) Dan Morgan (University of Leeds), Jon Maclennan (University of Cambridge)
The nature and extent of stable isotope (Zn, Cu, Mo, V) fractionation in mantle peridotites. With Paul Savage (University of Durham), Alex Halliday (University of Oxford), Yu-Hsuan Liang (University of Oxford), Julie Prytulak (Imperial College London)
Quantifying the hydrated inputs to subduction zones - a boron isotope study of fast and slow spreading mid ocean ridges. With Andrew McCaig (University of Leeds), Ivan Savov (University of Leeds)
Trace element systematics of variably altered peridotite-hosted base metal sulphides. With Munir Humayun (Florida State University), Richard Walshaw (University of Leeds)
Eduardo Morgardo (2015 intake) Magmatic timescales of Southern volcanic zone eruptions: influenced by liquine-ofqui fault zone
Eleri Simpson (University of Edinburgh 2015 intake) Squeezing the sponge: the role of serpentinites in subduction zones
SOEE1590 First year scientific tutorials. Key skills in scientific communications for first year undergraduates
SOEE2094/2095 Second year scientific tutorials
SOEE2590 Mineralogy and Petrology. Basic crystallography, mineral systems, solid solution series, introduction to thermodynamics, advanced analytical methods in mineralogy
SOEE2107 Connemara Field Class. Dalradian igneous and metamorphic petrology / mapping.
SOEE3073/3078/5306 Geological sciences projects
SOEE3221 Geophysics research seminars (consultant geochemist)
Academic lead for Thermal ionization mass spectrometry laboratory and clean chemistry suite (& 1 x Grade 6 technician), School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds.
University of Leeds NERC grant assessment committee (University-wide peer review demand management committee).
University of Leeds representative for the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland.
University of Leeds, School of Earth and Environment strategic review committee
Academic CV (pdf file)
- Liang YH; Halliday AN; Siebert C; Fitton JG; Burton KW; Wang KL; Harvey J (2017) Molybdenum isotope fractionation in the mantle, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 199, pp.91-111. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2016.11.023
- Reinhard AA; Jackson MG; Harvey J; Brown C; Koornneef JM (2016) Extreme differences in 87Sr/86Sr between Samoan lavas and the magmatic olivines they host: Evidence for highly heterogeneous 87Sr/86Sr in the magmatic plumbing system sourcing a single lava, Chemical Geology, 439, pp.120-131. doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2016.05.017
- Collings D; Savov I; Maneiro K; Baxter E; Harvey J; Dimitrov I (2016) Late Cretaceous UHP metamorphism recorded in kyanite-garnet schists from the Central Rhodope Mountains, Bulgaria, Lithos, 246-247, pp.165-181. doi: 10.1016/j.lithos.2016.01.002
- Gannoun A; Burton KW; Day JMD; Harvey J; Schiano P; Parkinson I (2016) Highly Siderophile Element and Os Isotope Systematics of Volcanic Rocks at Divergent and Convergent Plate Boundaries and in Intraplate Settings, Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, 81, pp.651-724. doi: 10.2138/rmg.2016.81.11
- Harvey J; Warren JM; Shirey SB (2016) Mantle Sulfides and their Role in Re-Os and Pb Isotope Geochronology, Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, 81, pp.579-649. doi: 10.2138/rmg.2016.81.10
- Harvey J; König S; Luguet A (2015) The effects of melt depletion and metasomatism on highly siderophile and strongly chalcophile elements: S-Se-Te-Re-PGE systematics of peridotite xenoliths from Kilbourne Hole, New Mexico, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 166, pp.210-233. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2015.06.028
- Harvey J; Garrido C; Savov IP; Agostini S; Padrón-Navarta JA; Marchesi C; Sánchez-Vizcaíno V; Gómez-Pugnaire M (2014) 11B-rich fluids in subduction zones: the role of antigorite dehydration in subducting slabs and boron isotope heterogeneity in the mantle, Chemical Geology, 376, pp.20-30. doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2014.03.015
- Harvey J; Savov IP; Agostini S; Cliff R; Walshaw R (2014) Si-metasomatism in serpentinized peridotite: the effects of talc-alteration on strontium and boron isotopes in abyssal peridotites from Hole 1268a, ODP Leg 209, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 126, pp.30-48. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2013.10.035
- Marchesi C; Garrido CJ; Harvey J; González-Jiménez JM; Hidas K; Lorand J-P; Gervilla F (2013) Platinum-group elements, S, Se and Cu in highly depleted abyssal peridotites from the Mid-Atlantic Ocean Ridge (ODP Hole 1274A): Influence of hydrothermal and magmatic processes, Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 166, pp.1521-1538. doi: 10.1007/s00410-013-0942-x
- Chu Z-Y; Harvey J; Liu C-Z; Guo J-H; Wu F-Y; Tian W; Zhang Y-L; Yang Y-H (2013) Source of highly potassic basalts in northeast China: Evidence from Re-Os, Sr-Nd-Hf isotopes and PGE geochemistry, Chemical Geology, 357, pp.52-66. doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2013.08.007
- Prytulak J; Nielsen SG; Ionov DA; Halliday AN; Harvey J; Kelley KA; Niu YL; Peate DW; Shimizu K; Sims KWW (2013) The stable vanadium isotope composition of the mantle and mafic lavas, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 365, pp.177-189. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2013.01.010
- Burton KW; Cenki-Tok B; Mokadem F; Harvey J; Gannoun A; Alard O; Parkinson IJ (2012) Unradiogenic lead in Earth's upper mantle, Nature Geoscience, 5, pp.570-573. doi: 10.1038/ngeo1531
- Harvey J; Yoshikawa M; Hammond SJ; Burton KW (2012) Deciphering the Trace Element Characteristics in Kilbourne Hole Peridotite Xenoliths: Melt-Rock Interaction and Metasomatism beneath the Rio Grande Rift, SW USA, JOURNAL OF PETROLOGY, 53, pp.1709-1742. doi: 10.1093/petrology/egs030
- Harvey J; Dale CW; Gannoun A; Burton KW (2011) Osmium mass balance in peridotite and the effects of mantle-derived sulphides on basalt petrogenesis, GEOCHIM COSMOCHIM AC, 75, pp.5574-5596. doi: 10.1016/gca.2011.07.001
- Harvey J; Gannoun A; Burton KW; Schiano P; Rogers NW; Alard O (2010) Unravelling the effects of melt depletion and secondary infiltration on mantle Re-Os isotopes beneath the French Massif Central, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 74, pp.293-320. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2009.09.031
- Harvey J; Baxter EF (2009) An improved method for TIMS high precision neodymium isotope analysis of very small aliquots (1-10 ng), Chemical Geology, 258, pp.251-257. doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2008.10.024
- Godard M; Lagabrielle Y; Alard O; Harvey J (2008) Geochemistry of the highly depleted peridotites drilled at ODP Sites 1272 and 1274 (Fifteen-Twenty Fracture Zone, Mid-Atlantic Ridge): Implications for mantle dynamics beneath a slow spreading ridge, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 267, pp.410-425. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2007.11.058
- Paulick H; Bach W; Godard M; de Hoog C-J; Harvey J (2006) Geochemistry of abyssal peridotites (Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 15°20′N, ODP Leg 209): Implications for fluid/rock interaction in slow spreading environments, Chemical Geology, 234, pp.179-210. doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2006.04.011
- Harvey J; Gannoun A; Burton KW; Rogers NW; Alard O (2006) Ancient melt extraction from the oceanic upper mantle revealed by Re-Os isotopes in abyssal peridotites from the Mid-Atlantic ridge, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 244, pp.606-621. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2006.02.031
- Bach W; Garrido CJ; Paulick H; Harvey J; Rosner M (2004) Seawater-peridotite interactions: First insights from ODP Leg 209, MAR 15oN, G3: Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems: an electronic journal of the earth sciences, 5, pp.1-22. doi: 10.1029/2004GC000744