Professor John Barrett
Professor of Energy and Climate Policy
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Affiliation: Sustainability Research Institute
I joined the Sustainability Research Institute (SRI) in February, 2011 as a Chair in Energy and Climate Policy. I am currently the Director of the Centre for Industrial Energy, Materials and Products (CIE-MAP) (more information available at www.ciemap.ac.uk). CIE-MAP is large research centre funded through the Research Council Energy Programme to understand how to reduce energy demand. Working closely with government and industry, the Centre for Industrial Energy, Materials, and Products conducts research to identify all the opportunities along the product supply chain that ultimately deliver a reduction in industrial energy use.
In addition, I am also a Co-Director of the UK Energy Research Centre, the multidisciplinary research centre established through the Research Council’s Energy Programme. I lead a research theme entitled, "Energy, Economy and Society" that explores the relationship betwwen economic growth and energy demand.
My research interests include sustainable consumption and production (SCP) modelling, carbon accounting and exploring the transition to a low carbon pathway. I have an extensive knowledge of the use of Multi-Regional Environmental Input-Output modelling to understand the effectiveness of strategies and policies to deliver a low carbon economy. The techniques that I developed as part of my research are now used by numerous government departments to understand the consumer emissions of the UK as well as the carbon emissions embedded in products.
I was one of the lead advisors to Defra in relation to the development of PAS2050 and was commissioned by Defra to lead on understanding the carbon footprint of trade. I was selected as a lead author for the IPCC 5th Assessment for Working Group III. John has appeared regularly on Radio 4 news and discussion programmes, written numerous policy reports on SCP issues for a wide range of audiences.
Current Research Projects
- UK Energy Research Centre (UKERC)
- Centre for Industrial Energy, Materials and Products (CIE-MAP)
- Defra - UK Consumer Emissions
Current PhD Students
- Lucas Bunse
- Kate Scott
- Christian Hudson
- Paul Brockway
- Jannik Giesekem
- John Hughes
- Niall Kerr
- William Goulart
Areas of PhD Supervision
- Sustainable consumption and production modelling
- The carbon footprint of goods and services
- The Carbon emissions of cities
- Understanding the transition to a low carbon economy / society
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- Member of the International Society of Industrial Ecology
- Member of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
- Kerr N; Gouldson A; Barrett J (2017) The rationale for energy efficiency policy: Assessing the recognition of the multiple benefits of energy efficiency retrofit policy, Energy Policy, 106, pp.212-221. doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2017.03.053
- AlSabbagh M; Siu YL; Guehnemann A; Barrett J (2017) Integrated approach to the assessment of CO2e-mitigation measures for the road passenger transport sector in Bahrain, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 71, pp.203-215. doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2016.12.052
- Owen A; Brockway P; Brand-Correa L; Bunse L; Sakai M; Barrett J (2017) Energy consumption-based accounts: A comparison of results using different energy extension vectors, Applied Energy, 190, pp.464-473. doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.12.089
- Millward-Hopkins J; Gouldson A; Scott K; Barrett J; Sudmant A (2017) Uncovering blind spots in urban carbon management: the role of consumption-based carbon accounting in Bristol, UK, Regional Environmental Change, pp.1-12. doi: 10.1007/s10113-017-1112-x
- Brockway PE; Heun MK; Santos J; Barrett JR (2017) Energy-Extended CES Aggregate Production: Current Aspects of Their Specification and Econometric Estimation, ENERGIES, 10, . doi: 10.3390/en10020202
- AlSabbagh M; Siu YL; Guehnemann A; Barrett J (2017) Mitigation of CO
2emissions from the road passenger transport sector in Bahrain, Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 22, pp.99-119. doi: 10.1007/s11027-015-9666-8
- Afionis S; Sakai M; Scott K; Barrett J; Gouldson A (2017) Consumption-based carbon accounting: does it have a future?, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change, 8, . doi: 10.1002/wcc.438
- Brockway PE; Saunders H; Heun MK; Foxon TJ; Steinberger JK; Barrett JR; Sorrell S (2017) Energy rebound as a potential threat to a low-carbon future: Findings from a new exergy-based national-level rebound approach, Energies, 10, . doi: 10.3390/en10010051
- Wiedmann TO; Chen G; Barrett J (2016) The Concept of City Carbon Maps: A Case Study of Melbourne, Australia, Journal of Industrial Ecology, 20, pp.676-691. doi: 10.1111/jiec.12346
- Giesekam J; Barrett JR; Taylor P (2016) Construction sector views on low carbon building materials, Building Research and Information, 44, pp.423-444. doi: 10.1080/09613218.2016.1086872
- Scott K; Daly H; Barrett J; Strachan N (2016) National climate policy implications of mitigating embodied energy system emissions, Climatic Change, 136, pp.325-338. doi: 10.1007/s10584-016-1618-0
- Sakai M; Barrett J (2016) Border carbon adjustments: Addressing emissions embodied in trade, Energy Policy, 92, pp.102-110. doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2016.01.038
- Holland RA; Scott K; Hinton ED; Austen MC; Barrett J; Beaumont N; Blaber-Wegg T; Brown G; Carter-Silk E; Cazenave P; Eigenbrod F; Hiscock K; Hooper T; Lovett A; Papathanasopoulou E; Smith P; Thomas A; Tickner R; Torres R; Taylor G (2016) Bridging the gap between energy and the environment, Energy Policy, 92, pp.181-189. doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2016.01.037
- Owen A; Wood R; Barrett J; Evans A (2016) Explaining value chain differences in MRIO databases through structural path decomposition, Economic Systems Research, 28, pp.243-272. doi: 10.1080/09535314.2015.1135309
- Norman JB; Serrenho A; Cooper SJG; Owen A; Sakai M; Scott K; Brockway PE; Cooper S; Giesekam J; Salvia G; Cullen JM; Cooper T; Barrett JR; Hammond G; Allwood J (2016) A whole system analysis of how industrial energy and material demand reduction can contribute to a low carbon future for the UK, . doi: 10.13140/RG.2.1.4548.9043
- Steen-Olsen K; Owen A; Barrett J; Guan D; Hertwich EG; Lenzen M; Wiedmann T (2016) Accounting for value added embodied in trade and consumption: an intercomparison of global multiregional input-output databases, Economic Systems Research, 28, pp.78-94. doi: 10.1080/09535314.2016.1141751
- Giesekam JJ; Barrett J; Taylor P (2016) Scenario analysis of embodied greenhouse gas emissions in UK construction, Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, . doi: 10.1680/jensu.16.00020
- Holland RA; Scott KA; Flörke M; Brown G; Ewers RM; Farmer E; Kapos V; Muggeridge A; Scharlemann JPW; Taylor G; Barrett J; Eigenbrod F (2015) Global impacts of energy demand on the freshwater resources of nations, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 112, pp.E6707-E6716. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1507701112
- Sakai M; Barrett J (2015) Reducing the Carbon Footprint and its Implications for Global Employment: The Labour Productivity of Carbon, In: Murray J; McBain D; Wiedmann T (Ed) The Sustainability Practitioner’s Guide to Social Analysis and Assessment, On Sustainability, Common Ground Publishing LLC, pp.130-140.
- Brockway PE; Steinberger JK; Barrett JR; Foxon TJ (2015) Understanding China's past and future energy demand: An exergy efficiency and decomposition analysis, Applied Energy, 155, pp.892-903. doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.05.082
- Scott K; Barrett J (2015) An integration of net imported emissions into climate change targets, Environmental Science and Policy, 52, pp.150-157. doi: 10.1016/j.envsci.2015.05.016
- Daly HE; Scott K; Strachan N; Barrett J (2015) Indirect CO
2Emission Implications of Energy System Pathways: Linking IO and TIMES Models for the UK, Environmental Science and Technology, 49, pp.10701-10709. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.5b01020
- Townsend J; Barrett J (2015) Exploring the applications of carbon footprinting towards sustainability at a UK university: Reporting and decision making, Journal of Cleaner Production, 107, pp.164-176. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.11.004
- Brockway PE; Barrett JR; Foxon TJ; Steinberger JK (2014) Divergence of trends in US and UK aggregate exergy efficiencies 1960-2010., Environ Sci Technol, 48, pp.9874-9881. doi: 10.1021/es501217t
- Wood FR; Dawkins E; Bows-Larkin A; Barrett J (2014) Applying ImPACT: A modelling framework to explore the role of producers and consumers in reducing emissions, Carbon Management, 5, pp.215-231. doi: 10.1080/17583004.2014.913864
- Bush RE; Jacques DA; Scott K; Barrett J (2014) The carbon payback of micro-generation: An integrated hybrid input-output approach, Applied Energy, 119, pp.85-98. doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.12.063
- Giesekam J; Barrett J; Taylor P; Owen A (2014) The greenhouse gas emissions and mitigation options for materials used in UK construction, Energy and Buildings, 78, pp.202-214. doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.04.035
- Owen A; Barrett J; Steen-Olsen K; Wiedmann T; Lenzen M (2014) A STRUCTURAL DECOMPOSITION APPROACH TO COMPARING MRIO DATABASES, Economic Systems Research, . doi: 10.1080/09535314.2014.935299
- Acquaye A; Genovese A; Barrett J; Koh SCL (2014) Benchmarking carbon emissions performance in supply chains, Supply Change Management, 19, pp.306-321. doi: 10.1108/SCM-11-2013-0419
- Blanco G; Gerlagh R; Suh S; Barrett J; de Coninck HC; Diaz Morejon CF; Mathur R; Nakicenovic N; Ahenkorah AO; Pan J; Pathak H; Rice J; Richels R; Smith SJ; Stern DI; Toth FL; Zhou P; Andres R; Baiocchi G; Hanemann WM; Jakob M; Kolp P; la Rovere E; Michielsen T; Nansai K; Rogner M; Rose S; Santalla E; Urge-Vorsatz D; Wiedmann T; Wilson T; Intergovernmental Panel Climate Change WGIII (2014) Drivers, Trends and Mitigation, CLIMATE CHANGE 2014: MITIGATION OF CLIMATE CHANGE, pp.351-411.
- Townsend J; Barrett J (2013) Exploring the applications of carbon footprinting towards sustainability at a UK university: reporting and decision making, Journal of Cleaner Production, . doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.11.004
- Scott KA; Owen A; Barrett J (2013) Estimating emissions associated with future UK consumption patterns, .
- Wiedmann T; Barrett J (2013) POLICY-RELEVANT APPLICATIONS OF ENVIRONMENTALLY EXTENDED MRIO DATABASES - EXPERIENCES FROM THE UK, Economic Systems Research, 25, pp.143-156. doi: 10.1080/09535314.2012.761596
- Scott KA; Barrett J (2013) Investigation into the greenhouse gas emissions of the UK services industries, .
- Barrett J; Scott K; Roelich K; Peters G; Wiedmann T; Lenzen M; Le Quéré C (2013) Consumption-based GHG emission accounting: A UK case study, Climate Policy, . doi: 10.1080/14693062.2013.788858
- Minx J; Baiocchi G; Wiedmann T; Barrett J; Creutzig F; Feng K; Foerster M; Pichler P-P; Weisz H; Hubacek K (2013) Carbon footprints of cities and other human settlements in the UK, ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH LETTERS, 8, . doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/8/3/035039
- Barrett J; Scott K (2012) Link between climate change mitigation and resource efficiency: A UK case study, Global Environmental Change, 22, pp.299-307. doi: 10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2011.11.003
- Wiedmann T; Barrett J (2011) A greenhouse gas footprint analysis of UK Central Government, 1990-2008, ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & POLICY, 14, pp.1041-1051. doi: 10.1016/j.envsci.2011.07.005
- Wiedmann T; Suh S; Feng K; Lenzen M; Acquaye A; Scott K; Barrett J (2011) Application of hybrid life cycle approaches to emerging energy technologies - the case of wind power in the UK, Environmental Science and Technology, 45, pp.5900-5907. doi: 10.1021/es2007287
- Acquaye A; Wiedmann T; Feng K; Crawford R; Barrett JR; Kuylenstierna J; Duffy A; Koh L; McQueen Mason S (2011) Identification of "Carbon Hot-Spots" and Quantification of GHG Intensities in the Biodiesel Supply Chain Using Hybrid LCA and Structural Path Analysis, Environmental Science and Technology, 45, pp.2471-2478.
- Siu YL; Feng K; Hubacek K; Minx J; Chapagain A; Yu Y; Guan D; Barrett J (2011) Spatially Explicit Analysis of Water Footprints in the UK, . doi: 10.3390/w3010047
- Wiedmann T; Wood R; Barrett J; Lenzen M (2011) The Ecological Footprint of consumption: spatial and sectoral context, URBAN CONSUMPTION, pp.35-50.
- Feng K; Hubacek K; Guan D; Contestabile M; Minx J; Barrett J (2010) Distributional effects of climate change taxation: the case of the UK., Environ Sci Technol, 44, pp.3670-3676. doi: 10.1021/es902974g
- Bows A; Barrett JR (2010) A Glimmer of Hope? Cumulative emissions scenarios using a consumption-based approach, Carbon Management, 1, pp.161-175. doi: 10.4155/CMT.10.17
- Scott KA; Barrett J; Baiocchi G; Minx J (2009) Meeting the UK Climate Change Challenge: The Contribution of Resource Efficiency, .
- Hubacek K; Guan D; Wiedmann T; Barrett J (2009) Environmental implications of urbanization and lifestyle change in China: Ecological and Water Footprints, Journal of Cleaner Production, .
- Wiedmann T; Lenzen M; Barrett J (2009) Companies on the Scale: Comparing and Benchmarking the Sustainability Performance of Businesses, Journal of Industrial Ecology, 13, pp.361-383. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00125.x
- Minx J; Ackerman F; Baiocchi G; Barrett J; Briggs J; Dawkins E; Guan D; Hubacek K; Lenzen M; Owen A; Paul A; Peters G; Scott K; Suh S; Wiedmann R; Wood R (2009) Input-Output Analysis and Carbon Footprinting: An overview of applications, Economic Systems Research, .
- Hubacek K; Guan D; Barrett J; Wiedmann T () Environmental implications of urbanization and lifestyle change in China: Ecological and Water Footprints, Journal for Cleaner Production, 17, pp.1241-1248. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2009.03.011