Dr Adam Booth
Lecturer: Exploration Geophysics
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: A.D.Booth@leeds.ac.uk
Affiliation: Institute of Applied Geoscience
I am a near-surface geophysicist, specialising in the application of seismic and GPR techniques to the quantiative analysis of the subsurface. My main focus is in the cryosphere - specifically measuring the physical state of glaciers and ice bodies - but I also work with engineering and archaeological-type targets. I am a versatile field geophysicist, having performed surveys in the Arabian desert, the Burmese jungle and on glaciers at both poles! New branches of research are in automated classification of GPR images, with Leeds' Computer Scientists, and applying GPR methods to image the burrows of moles and meerkats.
2008 - PhD - Near Surface Geophysics (School of Geography, University of Leeds)
2003 - MSc - Exploration Geopysics (School of Earth and Envinroment, University of Leeds)
2002 - BSc - Geophysical Sciences (School of Earth and Envinroment, University of Leeds)
A common theme in my research is the incorporation of oil industry acquisition and analysis procedures into the near-surface setting. This includes the integration of a multi-offset survey strategy for archaeological GPR data - implmeneted during my PhD research - and the application of AVA (amplitude-versus-angle) methods for hydrological analysis of the subglacial environment.
I am interested in integrative geophysical approaches, that incorporate novel procedures into data interpretation and combine observations from multiple geophysical platforms. I'm also interested in novel acquisition platforms, that either improve survey efficiency or offer new paradigms in data acquisition.
I'm a Co-Investigator on the NERC-FAPESP funded "NORDESTE" project, which looks to understand the caatinga biome in north-eastern Brazil. The contribution of ground penetrating radar (GPR) methods is to delineate and characterise the distribution and spatial density of tree roots in the biome.
I supervise the following PhD projects:
Siobhan Prise - Subglacial Aquifers: Characterisation with geophysical methods. Project co-supervised by Phil Livermore and Jared West.
Alif Jelani - Wide-angle Seismic Reflection and Refraction Study of Seaward Dipping Reflector in Volcanic Passive Margins. Project co-supervised by Graham Stuart and Doug Angus.
Hardi Bin Saleh - Valhall Seismic Geomechanics: Case study of time-lapse and microseismic prediction from coupled flow-geomechanical models. Project led by Quentin Fisher.
Emma Pearce - Density assessment of ice masses using seismic Full Waveform Inversion. Starting October 2017, project co-supervised by Graham Stuart and Andy Nowacki, with NERC CASE support from Ian Jones at ION-GXT.
I also supervise undergraduate students Jonathan Marsh and Anne Harding, who are both working on archaeological GPR data acquired in the Shetland Isles.
- Hubbard B; Luckman A; Ashmore DW; Bevan S; Kulessa B; Kuipers Munneke P; Philippe M; Jansen D; Booth A; Sevestre H; Tison JL; O'Leary M; Rutt I (2016) Massive subsurface ice formed by refreezing of ice-shelf melt ponds, Nature Communications, 7, . doi: 10.1038/ncomms11897
- Booth AD; Pringle JK (2016) Semblance analysis to assess GPR data from a five-year forensic study of simulated clandestine graves, Journal of Applied Geophysics, 125, pp.37-44. doi: 10.1016/j.jappgeo.2015.11.016
- Mertes JR; Thompson SS; Booth AD; Gulley JD; Benn DI (2016) A conceptual model of supra-glacial lake formation on debris-covered glaciers based on GPR facies analysis, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, . doi: 10.1002/esp.4068
- Booth AD; Emir E; Diez A (2015) Approximations to seismic AVA responses: Validity and potential in glaciological applications, Geophysics, 81, pp.WA1-WA11. doi: 10.1190/GEO2015-0187.1
- Booth AD; Clark RA; Merritt A (2015) The 2004 and 2013 Geophysical Surveys, In: Brockman A (Ed) Assumed Missing, Reported Buried: In Search of the Lost Spitfires of Burma, Mark XIV Publications.
- Murray T; Scharrer K; Selmes N; Booth AD; James TD; Bevan SL; Bradley J; Cook S; Llana LC; Drocourt Y; Dyke L; Goldsack A; Hughes AL; Luckman AJ; McGovern J (2015) Extensive Retreat of Greenland Tidewater Glaciers, 2000-2010, Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, 47, pp.427-447. doi: 10.1657/AAAR0014-049
- Booth AD; Szpakowska K; Pischikova E; Griffin K (2015) Structure of an ancient egyptian tomb inferred from ground-penetrating radar imaging of deflected overburden horizons, Archaeological Prospection, 22, pp.33-44. doi: 10.1002/arp.1496
- Booth AD; Mercer A; Clark R; Murray T; Jansson P; Axtell C (2013) A comparison of seismic and radar methods to establish the thickness and density of glacier snow cover, Annals of Glaciology, 54, pp.73-82. doi: 10.3189/2013AoG64A044
- Dow CF; Hubbard A; Booth AD; Doyle SH; Gusmeroli A; Kulessa B (2013) Seismic evidence of mechanically weak sediments underlying Russell Glacier, West Greenland, Annals of Glaciology, 54, pp.135-141. doi: 10.3189/2013AoG64A032
- Saintenoy A; Friedt JM; Booth AD; Tolle F; Bernard E; Laffly D; Marlin C; Griselin M (2013) Deriving ice thickness, glacier volume and bedrock morphology of Austre Lovénbreen (Svalbard) using GPR, Near Surface Geophysics, 11, pp.253-261. doi: 10.3997/1873-0604.2012040
- Booth AD; Szpakowska K (2013) Ground Penetrating Radar Survey of the South Asasif Necropolis, In: Pischikova E (Ed) Tombs of the South Asasif Necropolis: Thebes, Karakhamun (TT 223), and Karabasken (TT 391) in the Twenty-fifth Dynasty, American University in Cairo Press.
- Booth AD; Clark RA; Kulessa B; Murray T; Carter J; Doyle S; Hubbard A (2012) Thin-layer effects in glaciological seismic amplitude-versus-angle (AVA) analysis: Implications for characterising a subglacial till unit, Russell Glacier, West Greenland, Cryosphere, 6, pp.909-922. doi: 10.5194/tc-6-909-2012
- Booth AD; Clark RA; Murray T (2011) Influences on the resolution of GPR velocity analyses and a Monte Carlo simulation for establishing velocity precision, Near Surface Geophysics, 9, pp.399-411. doi: 10.3997/1873-0604.2011019
- Reinardy BTI; Larter RD; Hillenbrand CD; Murray T; Hiemstra JF; Booth AD (2011) Streaming flow of an Antarctic Peninsula palaeo-ice stream, both by basal sliding and deformation of substrate, Journal of Glaciology, 57, pp.596-608. doi: 10.3189/002214311797409758
- Gusmeroli A; Murray T; Jansson P; Pettersson R; Aschwanden A; Booth AD (2010) Vertical distribution of water within the polythermal Storglaciären, Sweden, Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, 115, . doi: 10.1029/2009JF001539
- Murray T; Scharrer K; James TD; Dye SR; Hanna E; Booth AD; Selmes N; Luckman A; Hughes ALC; Cook S; Huybrechts P (2010) Ocean regulation hypothesis for glacier dynamics in southeast Greenland and implications for ice sheet mass changes, Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, 115, . doi: 10.1029/2009JF001522
- Murray T; Booth AD (2010) Imaging glacial sediment inclusions in 3-D using ground-penetrating radar at Kongsvegen, Svalbard, Journal of Quaternary Science, 25, pp.754-761. doi: 10.1002/jqs.1351
- Gusmeroli A; Clark RA; Murray T; Booth AD; Kulessa B; Barrett BE (2010) Seismic wave attenuation in the uppermost glacier ice of Storglaciären, Sweden, Journal of Glaciology, 56, pp.249-256. doi: 10.3189/002214310791968485
- Booth AD; Clark R; Murray T (2010) Semblance response to a ground-penetrating radar wavelet and resulting errors in velocity analysis, Near Surface Geophysics, 8, pp.235-246. doi: 10.3997/1873-0604.2010008
- Booth AD; Clark RA; Hamilton K; Murray T (2010) Multi-offset ground penetrating radar methods to image buried foundations of a Medieval Town Wall, Great Yarmouth, UK, Archaeological Prospection, 17, pp.103-116. doi: 10.1002/arp.377
- Murray T; Booth AD (2010) Imaging glacial sediment inclusions in 3-D using GPR at Kongsvegen, Svalbard, Journal of Quaternary Science, 25, pp.754-761. doi: 10.1002/jqs.1354
- Endres AL; Murray T; Booth AD; West LJ (2009) A new framework for estimating englacial water content and pore geometry using combined radar and seismic wave velocities, Geophysical Research Letters, 36, . doi: 10.1029/2008GL036876
- Booth AD; Endres AL; Murray T (2009) Spectral bandwidth enhancement of GPR profiling data using multiple-frequency compositing, Journal of Applied Geophysics, 67, pp.88-97. doi: 10.1016/j.jappgeo.2008.09.015
- Gusmeroli A; Murray T; Barrett B; Clark R; Booth A (2008) Estimates of water content in glacier ice using vertical radar profiles: A modified interpretation for the temperate glacier Falljökull, Iceland, Journal of Glaciology, 54, pp.939-942. doi: 10.3189/002214308787779942
- Kulessa B; Booth AD; Hobbs A; Hubbard AL (2008) Automated monitoring of subglacial hydrological processes with ground-penetrating radar (GPR) at high temporal resolution: Scope and potential pitfalls, Geophysical Research Letters, 35, . doi: 10.1029/2008GL035855
- Murphy P; Westerman AR; Clark R; Booth A; Parr A (2008) Enhancing understanding of breakdown and collapse in the Yorkshire Dales using ground penetrating radar on cave sediments, Engineering Geology, 99, pp.160-168. doi: 10.1016/j.enggeo.2007.11.015
- Booth AD; Linford NT; Clark RA; Murray T (2008) Three-dimensional, multi-offset ground-penetrating radar imaging of archaeological targets, Archaeological Prospection, 15, pp.93-112. doi: 10.1002/arp.327
- Murray T; Booth A; Rippin DM (2007) Water-content of Glacier-ice: Limitations on estimates from velocity analysis of surface ground-penetrating radar surveys, Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, 12, pp.87-99. doi: 10.2113/JEEG12.1.87
- Siegert MJ; Kulessa B; Bougamont M; Christoffersen P; Key K; Andersen KR; Booth AD; Smith AM (Accepted) Antarctic subglacial groundwater: a concept paper on its measurement and potential influence on ice flow, Geological Society Special Publications, .
- Booth AD; Vandeginste V; Pike D; Abbey R; Clark RA; Green CM; Howland N (Accepted) Geochemical insight during archaeological geophysical exploration through in situ X-ray fluorescence spectrometry, Archaeological Prospection, . doi: 10.1002/arp.1575
- Ashmore DW; Hubbard B; Luckman A; Kulessa B; Bevan S; Booth AD; Kuipers Munneke P; O'Leary M; Sevestre H; Holland PR (Accepted) Ice and firn heterogeneity within Larsen C Ice Shelf from borehole optical televiewing, Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, .