Dr Taija Torvela
Lecturer: Applied Structural Geology/Basin Analysis/Seismic Interpretation; Programme Manager: MSc Structural Geology with Geophysics
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: T.M.Torvela@leeds.ac.uk
I finished my PhD in 2007 at Abo Akademi University, Finland, on the 4D evolution of a crustal-scale shear zone in a Precambrian basement. After my PhD, I worked for Posiva as a structural geologist. Posiva is the organisation which is responsible for the final deposition of spent nuclear fuel in Finland into a crystalline basement repository. In 2009, I went to University of Aberdeen for a two-year post-doctoral fellowship. There, I was involved in the development of the Virtual Seismic Atlas, www.seismicatlas.org, and research projects on structural interpretation of seismic data, mostly from the perspective of the behaviour of the crystalline basement in both extensional and compressional environments, but also worked on deep-water fold and thrust systems.
After Aberdeen, I was appointed lecturer in structural geology and 3D modelling at the University of Helsinki. In Helsinki, I continued with research projects related to deep orogenic processes, specifically synorogenic mid-crustal extension and orogenic collapse, and the usability of seismic reflection data in researching crustal structures. I also continued with basin-related research, investigating the structure and the evolution of a 1.9 Ga volcanosedimentary basin in southern Finland and the associated sulphide mineralizations.
I moved to Leeds in the autumn of 2012. Here, I will continue to pursue my research interests in basement processes and deformation, both in convergent (orogenic) and in basin (extensional) environments, using e.g. seismic reflection data, field mapping, and microanalytics. I'm also interested how deformatin processes at various scales affect ore mineralisations, and how we can utilise structural geology knowledge in minerals exploration.
I am the leader of the MSc Structural Geology with Geophysics since autumn 2014.
PhD, Abo Akademi University, 2007
HEA Fellow, ref PR081532, 2015
Geological Society of London, Fellow
Geological Society of Finland, member
- Middle and lower crustal structures and processes during orogenesis, and especially behaviour and role of migmatites in accommodating large-scale strains
- Fold and thrust belts/orogenic wedges
- Behaviour of middle and lower crust during lithospheric stretching/basin formation
- Application of seismic data to the structural interpretation of the crystalline basement
- Investigating possibilitied to enhance basement seismic reflection data by using seismic attributes, to detect sub-kilometre-scale structures
- Integrating field work and seismic reflection interpretation
- Relationships between geological structures and ore mineralisations
- Interpretational uncertainty
3D structures, field mapping, geodynamics of the lithosphere, applied structural geology, seismic interpretation (2D and 3D)
Programme leader of MSc Structural Geology with Geophysics
- Lee AL; Walker AM; Lloyd GE; Torvela T (2017) Modeling the impact of melt on seismic properties during mountain building, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 18, pp.1090-1110. doi: 10.1002/2016GC006705
- Jimenez-Bonilla A; Torvela T; Balanyá JC; Expósito I; Díaz-Azpiroz M (2016) Changes in dip and frictional properties of the basal detachment controlling orogenic wedge propagation and frontal collapse: the External central Betics case, Tectonics, 35, pp.3028-3049. doi: 10.1002/2016TC004196
- Jiménez-Bonilla A; Balanyá JC; Expósito I; Crespo-Blanc A; Torvela TM; Díaz-Azpiroz M; Barcos L (2016) Miocene deformation front propagation and strain partitioning within the fold-and-thrust belt of the Central Betics, Geocageta, 59, pp.23-26.
- Torvela TM (2016) How (not) to recognize a mid-crustal channel from outcrop patterns, Geological Society of America, .
- Kalliomäki H; Torvela TM; Moreau J; Kähkönen Y (2014) Relationships between basin architecture, basin closure, and occurrence of sulphide-bearing schists: an example from Tampere Schist Belt, Finland, Journal of the Geological Society, 171, pp.659-671. doi: 10.1144/jgs2013-122
- Torvela T; Moreau J; Butler RWH; Korja A; Heikkinen P (2013) The mode of extension in the orogenic mid-crust revealed by seismic attribute analysis., G3: Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems: an electronic journal of the earth sciences, .
- Calvès G; Torvela T; Huuse M; Dinkleman MG (2012) New evidence for the origin of the Porcupine Median Volcanic Ridge: Early Cretaceous volcanism in the Porcupine Basin, Atlantic margin of Ireland, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 13, . doi: 10.1029/2011GC003852
- Calves J; Torvela T; Huuse M; Dinkelmann M (2012) New evidence for Early Cretaceous volcanism in the Porcupine Basin, west of Ireland., G3: Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 13, .
- Torvela T; Bond CE (2011) Do experts use idealized structural models? Insights from a deepwater fold-thrust belt case study., Journal of Structural Geology, 33, pp.51-58.
- Torvela T; Ehlers C (2010) From ductile to brittle deformation - the structural development of and strain distribution along a crustal-scale shear zone in SW Finland., International Journal of Earth Sciences, 99, pp.1133-1152.
- Torvela T; Ehlers C (2010) Microstructural associated with the Sottunga-Jurmo shear zone and their implications to the 1.83-1.79 Ga tectonic development of SW Finland., Bulletin of the Geological Society of Finland, 82, pp.5-29.
- Aaltonen I; Lahti M; Engström J; Mattila J; Paananen M; Paulamäki S; Gehör S; Kärki A; Ahokas T; Torvela TM; Front K (2010) Geological Model of the Olkiluoto Site, Version 2., .
- Hellä P; Ikonen A; Mattila J; Torvela TM; Wikström L (2009) RSC-programme -Interim report. Approach and basis for RSC development, layout determining features and preliminary criteria for tunnel and deposition hole scale., .
- Torvela T; Mänttäri I; Hermansson T (2008) Timing of deformation phases within the South Finland shear zone, SW Finland., Precambrian Research, 160, pp.277-298.
- Torvela T; Annersten H (2005) PT-conditions of deformation within the Palaeoproterozoic South Finland shear zone: some geothermobarometric results., Bulletin of the Geological Society of Finland, 77, pp.151-164.