Dr Monica Di Gregorio
Lecturer: Environmental Politics & Governance
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: email@example.com
Affiliation: Sustainability Research Institute
I am an environmental social scientist and a Lecturer in Environmental Politics and Governance. My current research examines contentious environmental politics and development and is centered on climate change politics and policy, environmental movements and policy networks. My work on climate change policy focuses on developing countries and policies related to reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+) and synergies between climate change mitigation and adaptation in the land use sector. I also have a broader research interest in natural resources governance.
Prior to joining SRI in 2011, I was a fellow in the Department of International Development at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). My work at the LSE focused on activism around forest tenure issues in Indonesia. Before joining the LSE, I worked for the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) on institutions and natural resource management with a particular focus on property rights and collective action issues. I have a background in International Development (LSE) and Development Economics (MSc, SOAS) and a regional interest in Southeast Asia.
MSc in Economics with Reference to the Asia Pacific Regions - School of Oriental and African Studies
PhD in International Development - London School of Economics
Current Research Projects
’International REDD+ Governance’ component of the research project ‘From Climate Research to Action under Multilevel Governance: Building Knowledge and Capacity at Landscape Scale (MLG)’ (2016-2018)
Completed Research Projects
Areas for PhDs supervision
I welcome queries on doctoral dissertation projects on topics such as:
- Climate Change Politics, Policy and Governance
- Environmental Politics
- Environmental Social Movements
- Environmental Policy Networks
- Institutions and Common-pool Resources
Mireia Pecurul Botines: Explaining different governance patterns of Natura 2000 implementation in forests in Spain (completed 2015)
Emrah Akyuz: PhD Candidate working on nuclear power and human rights
Marta Gaworek-Michalczenia: Delivering integrated climate change adaptation and resilience programmes: Evaluating adaptive capacity and human well-being outcomes of a complex multi-objective climate-development programme (ESRC White Rose Collaborative Studentship).
- Gebara MF; May PH; Carmenta R; Calixto B; Brockhaus M; Di Gregorio M (2017) Framing REDD+ in the Brazilian national media: how discourses evolved amid global negotiation uncertainties, Climatic Change, 141, pp.213-226. doi: 10.1007/s10584-017-1896-1
- Di Gregorio M; Nurrochmat DR; Paavola J; Sari IM; Fatorelli L; Pramova E; Locatelli B; Brockhaus M; Kusumadewi SD (2017) Climate policy integration in the land use sector: Mitigation, adaptation and sustainable development linkages, Environmental Science and Policy, 67, pp.35-43. doi: 10.1016/j.envsci.2016.11.004
- Khatri DB; Pham TT; Di Gregorio M; Karki R; Paudel NS; Brockhaus M; Bhushal R (2016) REDD+ politics in the media: a case from Nepal, Climatic Change, 138, pp.309-323. doi: 10.1007/s10584-016-1731-0
- Cronin T; Santoso L; Di Gregorio M; Brockhaus M; Mardiah S; Muharrom E (2016) Moving consensus and managing expectations: media and REDD+ in Indonesia, Climatic Change, 137, pp.57-70. doi: 10.1007/s10584-015-1563-3
- Vijge MJ; Brockhaus M; Di Gregorio M; Muharrom E (2016) Framing national REDD+ benefits, monitoring, governance and finance: A comparative analysis of seven countries, Global Environmental Change, 39, pp.57-68. doi: 10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2016.04.002
- Brockhaus M; Korhonen-Kurki K; Sehring J; Di Gregorio M; Assembe-Mvondo S; Babon A; Bekele M; Gebara MF; Khatri DB; Kambire H; Kengoum F; Kweka D; Menton M; Moeliono M; Paudel NS; Pham TT; Resosudarmo IAP; Sitoe A; Wunder S; Zida M (2016) REDD+, transformational change and the promise of performance-based payments: a qualitative comparative analysis, Climate Policy, pp.1-23. doi: 10.1080/14693062.2016.1169392
- Di Gregorio M; Fatorelli L; Pramova E; May P; Locatelli B; Brockhaus M (2016) Integrating mitigation and adaptation in climate and land use policies in Brazil: a policy document analysis, .
- Di Gregorio M; Brockhaus M; Cronin T; Muharrom E; Mardiah S; Santoso L (2015) Deadlock or transformational change? Exploring public discourse on REDD+ across seven countries, Global Environmental Politics, 15, pp.63-84. doi: 10.1162/GLEP_a_00322
- Di Gregorio M; Nurrochmat; D. R.; Fatorelli; L.; Pramova; E.; Sari; I. M.; Locatelli; B.; Brockhaus; M. (2015) Integrating mitigation and adaptation in climate and land use policies in Indonesia: a policy document analysis, .
- Gallemore C; Di Gregorio M; Moeliono M; Brockhaus M; Prasti H RD (2015) Transaction costs, power, and multi-level forest governance in Indonesia., Ecological Economics, 114, pp.168-179. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2015.03.024
- Pramova E; Di Gregorio M; Locatelli B (2015) Integrating adaptation and mitigation in climate change and land-use policies in Peru, . doi: 10.17528/cifor/005624
- Locatelli B; Pavageau C; Pramova E; Di Gregorio M (2015) Integrating climate change mitigation and adaptation in agriculture and forestry: opportunities and trade-offs, WILEY INTERDISCIPLINARY REVIEWS-CLIMATE CHANGE, 6, pp.585-598. doi: 10.1002/wcc.357
- Brockhaus M; Korhonen-Kurki K; Sehring J; Di Gregorio M; Assembe-Mvondo S; Babon A; Bekele M; Gebara MF; Kahtri DB; Kambire H; Kengoum F; Kweka D; Menton M; Moeliono M; Paudel NS; Pham TT; Resosudarmo IAP; Sitoe A; Wunder S; Zida M (2015) Policy progress with REDD+ and the promise of performance-based payments: A qualitative comparative analysis of 13 countries, . doi: 10.17528/cifor/005778
- Pecurul-Botines M; Di Gregorio M; Paavola J (2014) Discourses of conflict and collaboration and institutional context in the implementation of forest conservation policies in Soria, Spain, Biodiversity and Conservation, 23, pp.3483-3499. doi: 10.1007/s10531-014-0823-2
- Brockhaus M; Di Gregorio M; Mardiah S (2014) Governing the design of national REDD +: an analysis of the power of agency, Forest Policy and Economics, 49, pp.23-33. doi: 10.1016/j.forpol.2013.07.003
- Brockhaus M; Di Gregorio M; Carmenta R (2014) REDD+ policy networks: exploring actors and power structures in an emerging policy domain, Ecology and Society, 19, . doi: 10.5751/ES-07098-190429
- Korhonen-Kurki K; Sehring J; Brockhaus M; Di Gregorio M (2014) Enabling factors for establishing REDD plus in a context of weak governance, Climate Policy, 14, pp.167-186. doi: 10.1080/14693062.2014.852022
- Di Gregorio M (2014) Gaining access to the State: political opportunities and agency in forest activism in Indonesia, Social Movement Studies: journal of social, cultural and political protest, 13, pp.381-398. doi: 10.1080/14742837.2013.856297
- Pham TT; Di Gregorio M; Carmenta R; Brockhaus M; Le DN (2014) The REDD+ policy arena in Vietnam: participation of policy actors, Ecology and Society, 19, . doi: 10.5751/ES-06389-190222
- Moeliono M; Gallemore C; Santoso L; Brockhaus M; Di Gregorio M (2014) Information networks and power: confronting the "wicked problem" of REDD+ in Indonesia, Ecology and Society: a journal of integrative science for resilience and sustainability, 19, . doi: 10.5751/ES-06300-190209
- Brockhaus M; Di Gregorio M (2014) National REDD+ policy networks: from cooperation to conflict, Ecology and Society, 19, . doi: 10.5751/ES-06643-190414
- Rantala S; Di Gregorio M (2014) Multistakeholder environmental governance in action: REDD+ discourse coalitions in Tanzania, Ecology and Society, 19, . doi: 10.5751/ES-06536-190266
- Thuy PT; Moeliono M; Locatelli B; Brockhaus M; Di Gregorio M; Mardiah S (2014) Integration of adaptation and mitigation in climate change and forest policies in Indonesia and Vietnam, Forests, 5, pp.2016-2036. doi: 10.3390/f5082016
- Babon A; McIntyre D; Gowae GY; Gallemore C; Carmenta R; Di Gregorio M; Brockhaus M (2014) Advocacy coalitions, REDD+, and forest governance in Papua New Guinea: How likely is transformational change?, Ecology and Society, 19, . doi: 10.5751/ES-06486-190316
- Di Gregorio M; Brockhaus M; Cronin T; Muharrom E; Santoso L; Mardiah S; Buedenbender M (2013) Equity and REDD plus in the Media: a Comparative Analysis of Policy Discourses, ECOLOGY AND SOCIETY, 18, . doi: 10.5751/ES-05694-180239
- Di Gregorio M; Hagedorn K; Kirk M; Korf B; McCarthy N; Meinzen-Dick R; Swallow B; Mwangi E; Markelova H (2012) Property rights and collective action for poverty reduction: A framework for analysis, Collective action and property rights for poverty reduction: Insights from Africa and Asia, pp.25-48.
- Di Gregorio M (2012) Networking in environmental movement organisation coalitions: interest, values or discourse?, ENVIRONMENTAL POLITICS, 21, pp.1-25. doi: 10.1080/09644016.2011.643366
- Di Gregorio M; Hagedorn K; Kirk M; Korf B; McCarthy N; Meinzen-Dick R; Swallow B; Mwangi E; Markelova H (2012) Collective Action and Property Rights for Poverty Reduction, In: Mwangi E; Markelova H; Meinzen-Dick R (Ed) Collective Action and Property Rights for Poverty Reduction, University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Di Gregorio M; Brockhaus M; Cronin T; Muharrom E (2012) Politics and power in national REDD+ policy processes, In: Angelsen A; Brockhaus M; Sunderlin WD; Verchot L (Ed) Analysing REDD+: Challenges and Choices, Cifor, pp.69-90.
- Meinzen-Dick RS; Di Gregorio M; Dohrn S (2008) Pro-poor land tenure and democratic governance. Discussion paper No. 3.Oslo: Oslo Governance Centre., .
- Eyzaguirre P; Di Gregorio M; Meinzen-Dick R (2007) Introduction to the special issue on "property rights, collective action, and local conservation of genetic resources", WORLD DEV, 35, pp.1481-1488. doi: 10.1016/j.worlddev.2006.05.016
- McCarthy N; Di Gregorio M (2007) Climate variability and flexibility in resource access: the case of pastoral mobility in Northern Kenya, ENVIRON DEV ECON, 12, pp.403-421. doi: 10.1017/S1355770X07003609
- Meinzen-Dick RS; Di Gregorio M (2004) The Role of Collective Action in Fighting Hunger. Paper commissioned by the UN Hunger Task Force., .
- Meinzen-Dick RS; Di Gregorio M; McCarthy N (2004) Methods for studying collective action in rural development, Agricultural Systems, 82, pp.197-214.
- Knox A; Meinzen-Dick RS; Di Gregorio M (2001) Collective action, property rights, and devolution of natural resource management: Exchange of knowledge and implications for policy, DSE/ZEL.