Dr Lawrence Jackson
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: L.S.Jackson@leeds.ac.uk
Affiliation: Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science
Since 2011 I have worked as a research fellow on the EPSRC and NERC funded project Integrated Assessment of Geoengineering Proposals. My role involves running the UK Met Office climate model to simulate potential benefits and side effects of different geoengineering proposals on twenty-first century climate.
2007 - 2011 PhD student at the University of Leeds supervised by Professor Piers Forster.
I worked as an actuary in the life & pensions industry from 1987 to 2006. In 2006 I returned to university to study environmental science at the University of York before moving to the University of Leeds in 2007.
- BSc Mathematics, University of Southamption, 1987
- MSc Environmental Science and Management, University of York, 2007
- PhD Understanding Diurnal Temperature Range Changes, University of Leeds, 2011
American Geophysical Union
My research involves using global climate models to investigate climate change processes, understand trends in real world observations and to simulate potential future climate trends. I am also interested in the application of statistical techniques in the analysis of climate data and trends.
My PhD focused on the observed decline in diurnal temperature range (DTR) over land since 1950. I produced a statistical analysis of seasonal and geographic patterns in DTR. I also used a single column climate model to simulate the response of DTR to different forcings and investigate the associated changes in boundary layer processes and surface energy flux changes.
More recently I have been using the UK Met Office climate model to simulate the potential benefits and side effects of different geoengineering proposals.
- Smith CJ; Crook JA; Crook R; Jackson LS; Osprey SM; Forster PM (2017) Impacts of stratospheric sulfate geoengineering on global solar photovoltaic and concentrating solar power resource, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, . doi: 10.1175/JAMC-D-16-0298.1
- Jackson LS; Crook JA; Forster PM (2016) An intensified hydrological cycle in the simulation of geoengineering by cirrus cloud thinning using ice crystal fall speed changes, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 121, pp.6822-6840. doi: 10.1002/2015JD024304
- Crook JA; Jackson LS; Forster PM (2016) Can increasing albedo of existing ship wakes reduce climate change?, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 121, pp.1549-1558. doi: 10.1002/2015JD024201
- Lebel S; Fleskens L; Forster PM; Jackson LS; Lorenz S (2015) Evaluation of In Situ Rainwater Harvesting as an Adaptation Strategy to Climate Change for Maize Production in Rainfed Africa, Water Resources Management, 29, pp.4803-4816. doi: 10.1007/s11269-015-1091-y
- Crook JA; Jackson LS; Osprey SM; Forster PM (2015) A comparison of temperature and precipitation responses to different Earth radiation management geoengineering schemes, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 120, pp.9352-9373. doi: 10.1002/2015JD023269
- Jackson LS; Crook JA; Jarvis A; Leedal D; Ridgwell A; Vaughan N; Forster PM (2015) Assessing the controllability of Arctic sea ice extent by sulfate aerosol geoengineering, Geophysical Research Letters, 42, pp.1223-1231. doi: 10.1002/2014GL062240
- Jackson LS; Forster PM (2013) Modeled rapid adjustments in diurnal temperature range response to CO2 and solar forcings, JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES, 118, pp.2229-2240. doi: 10.1002/jgrd.50243
- Jenkins AKL; Forster PM; Jackson LS (2013) The effects of timing and rate of marine cloud brightening aerosol injection on albedo changes during the diurnal cycle of marine stratocumulus clouds, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 13, pp.1659-1673. doi: 10.5194/acp-13-1659-2013
- Forster PM; Andrew T; Good P; Gregory JM; Jackson LS; Zelinka M (2013) Evaluating adjusted forcing and model spread for historical and future scenarios in the CMIP5 generation of climate models, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 118, pp.1139-1150. doi: 10.1002/jgrd.50174
- Jackson LS; Forster PM (2010) An Empirical Study of Geographic and Seasonal Variations in Diurnal Temperature Range, J CLIMATE, 23, pp.3205-3221. doi: 10.1175/2010JCLI3215.1
- Emberson LD; Buker P; Ashmore MR; Mills G; Jackson LS; Agrawal M; Atikuzzaman MD; Cinderby S; Engardt M; Jamir C; Kobayashi K; Oanh NTK; Quadir QF; Wahid A (2009) A comparison of North American and Asian exposure-response data for ozone effects on crop yields, Atmospheric Environment, 43, pp.1945-1953. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2009.01.005
- Jackson LS; Carslaw N; Carslaw DC; Emmerson KM (2009) Modelling trends in OH radical concentrations using generalized additive models, ATMOS CHEM PHYS, 9, pp.2021-2033.
- Jackson LS; Carslaw N; Emmerson KM; Carslaw DC; Jackson LS; Emmerson KM (2008) Modelling trends in OH radical concentrations using generalized additive models, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions, 8, pp.14607-14642.