Dr Julia Steinberger
+44(0) 113 34
32895 or +44 (0)785 607 9625
Email address: J.K.Steinberger@leeds.ac.uk
Affiliation: Sustainability Research Institute
Dr. Julia Steinberger researches and teaches in the interdisciplinary areas of Ecological Economics and Industrial Ecology. Her research examines the connections between resource use (energy and materials, greenhouse gas emissions) and societal performance (economic activity and human wellbeing). She is interested in quantifying the current and historical linkages between resource use and socioeconomic parameters, and identifying alternative development pathways to guide the necessary transition to a low carbon society. She is the recipient of a Leverhulme Research Leadership Award for her research project "Living Well Within Limits" investigating how universal human well-being might be achieved within planetary boundaries.
Before coming to the University of Leeds in 2011, Dr Steinberger was a Senior Researcher at the Institute of Social Ecology in Vienna (SEC), where she investigated sustainable cities and the links between material use and economic performance. She has held postdoctoral positions at the Universities of Lausanne and Zurich, and obtained her PhD from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She has published over 38 internationally peer-reviewed articles since 2009 in journals including Nature Climate Change, Environmental Science & Technology, PLOS ONE and Environmental Research Letters.
Ongoing & past research projects:
- Principal Investigator on the Living Well Within Limits [LiLi] Leverhulme Research Leadership Award.
- Investigator on iBUILD ESRC/EPSRC centre. Website link.
- Principal Investigator of the "Land of the MUSCos: Multi-Utility Service Companies" EPSRC project. Website link.
- Co-Investigator of the "Undermining Infrastructure" EPSRC project. Website link.
Present PhD students
- Blandine Boeuf "A critical study of Cost-Benefit Analysis in the EU Water Framework Directive planning in France and the UK."
- Lina Brand Correa "Exploring the energy dependency of human well-being and the economy."
- David Christopherson "Prioritising human wellbeing in a climate-constrained world"
- William Goulart da Silva "Assessing the status and potential for sustainability in the Brazilian agri-food system."
- Elena Hofferberth (joint with LUBS) "Potential pathways to an equitable post-growth economy"
- Elke Pirgmaier (joint with LUBS) "Ecological Macroeconomics: Exploring the foundations of an alternative macroeconomic framework for sustainability."
Past PhD students
- Dr Effie Papargyropoulou University of Leeds, split site with UTM Malaysia (2017) "Food waste generation in the hospitality and food service sector: Prevention insights from Malaysia"
- Dr Arturo Andersen Chinbuah University of Leeds (2017) "The societal metabolism and resource curse of developing economies: a comparative study of Ghana and Ivory Coast"
- Dr Erica (Rici) Marshall University of Leeds (2016) "Modelling the delivery of low-carbon energy services in residential buildings."
- Dr Paul Brockway University of Leeds (2016) "National-level energy use, rebound and economic growth: insights from useful work and exergy analysis"
- Dr Kate Scott University of Leeds (2016) "Integrating embodied emissions into climate change mitigation policy."
- Dr William Lamb University of Manchester (2016) "Identifying and learning from sustainable development pathways."
- Dr Cheng Wen University of Leeds (2014) "Payment for Ecosystem Services of the Middle Route of South-to-North Water Transfer Project in China."
- Dr Katy Roelich University of Leeds (2014) "Physical and institutional challenges of low carbon infrastructure transitions: constraints and potential solutions."
- Dr Marco Sakai University of Leeds (2013) "An Assessment of the Compatibility between Climate Change Mitigation and Global Development."
- Dr Dan O'Neill, University of Leeds (2012) "Measuring Progress Towards a Socially Sustainable Steady State Economy."
- Dr Marlyne Sahakian, University of Geneva (2011) "Staying Cool: Towards a deeper understanding of energy usage among differing socio-economic households in Metro Manila, Philippines"
- Brockway PE; Saunders H; Heun MK; Foxon TJ; Steinberger JK; Barrett JR; Sorrell S (2017) Energy rebound as a potential threat to a low-carbon future: Findings from a new exergy-based national-level rebound approach, Energies, 10, . doi: 10.3390/en10010051
- Knoeri C; Steinberger JK; Roelich K (2016) End-user centred infrastructure operation: Towards integrated end-use service delivery, Journal of Cleaner Production, 132, pp.229-239. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.08.079
- Teixidó-Figueras J; Steinberger JK; Krausmann F; Haberl H; Wiedmann T; Peters GP; Duro JA; Kastner T (2016) International inequality of environmental pressures: Decomposition and comparative analysis, Ecological Indicators, 62, pp.163-173. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2015.11.041
- Marshall E; Steinberger JK; Dupont V; Foxon TJ (2016) Combining energy efficiency measure approaches and occupancy patterns in building modelling in the UK residential context, Energy and Buildings, 111, pp.98-108. doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2015.11.039
- Brockway PE; Steinberger JK; Barrett JR; Foxon TJ (2015) Understanding China's past and future energy demand: An exergy efficiency and decomposition analysis, Applied Energy, 155, pp.892-903. doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.05.082
- Papargyropoulou E; Wright N; Lozano R; Steinberger J; Padfield R; Ujang Z (2015) Conceptual framework for the study of food waste generation and prevention in the hospitality sector, Waste Management, . doi: 10.1016/j.wasman.2016.01.017
- Wiedenhofer D; Steinberger JK; Eisenmenger N; Haas W (2015) Maintenance and Expansion: Modeling Material Stocks and Flows for Residential Buildings and Transportation Networks in the EU25, Journal of Industrial Ecology, 19, pp.538-551. doi: 10.1111/jiec.12216
- Roelich K; Knoeri C; Steinberger JK; Varga L; Blythe PT; Butler D; Gupta R; Harrison GP; Martin C; Purnell P (2015) Towards resource-efficient and service-oriented integrated infrastructure operation, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 92, pp.40-52. doi: 10.1016/j.techfore.2014.11.008
- Papargyropoulou E; Lozano R; K Steinberger J; Wright N; Ujang ZB (2014) The food waste hierarchy as a framework for the management of food surplus and food waste, Journal of Cleaner Production, 76, pp.106-115. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.04.020
- Brockway PE; Barrett JR; Foxon TJ; Steinberger JK (2014) Divergence of trends in US and UK aggregate exergy efficiencies 1960-2010, Environmental Science and Technology, 48, pp.9874-9881. doi: 10.1021/es501217t
- Roelich K; Dawson DA; Purnell P; Knoeri C; Revell R; Busch J; Steinberger JK (2014) Assessing the dynamic material criticality of infrastructure transitions: A case of low carbon electricity, Applied Energy, 123, pp.378-386. doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.01.052
- Busch J; Steinberger JK; Dawson DA; Purnell P; Roelich K (2014) Managing critical materials with a technology-specific stocks and flows model, Environmental Science and Technology, 48, pp.1298-1305. doi: 10.1021/es404877u
- Lamb WF; Steinberger JK; Bows-Larkin A; Peters GP; Roberts JT; Wood FR (2014) Transitions in pathways of human development and carbon emissions, Environmental Research Letters, 9, . doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/9/1/014011
- Dawson DA; Purnell P; Roelich K; Busch J; Steinberger JK (2014) Low carbon technology performance vs infrastructure vulnerability: Analysis through the local and global properties space, Environmental Science and Technology, 48, pp.12970-12977. doi: 10.1021/es500902b
- Steinberger JK; Krausmann F; Getzner M; Schandl H; West J (2013) Development and Dematerialization: An International Study, PLoS ONE, 8, . doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0070385
- Purnell P; Dawson D; Roelich KE; Steinberger JK; Busch J (2013) Critical materials for infrastructure: Local vs global properties, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Engineering Sustainability, 166, pp.272-280. doi: 10.1680/ensu.12.00031
- Wiedenhofer D; Lenzen M; Steinberger JK (2013) Energy requirements of consumption: Urban form, climatic and socio-economic factors, rebounds and their policy implications, Energy Policy, . doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2013.07.035
- Haberl H; Steinberger JK; Plutzar C; Erb KH; Gaube V; Gingrich S; Krausmann F (2012) Natural and socioeconomic determinants of the embodied human appropriation of net primary production and its relation to other resource use indicators, Ecological Indicators, 23, pp.222-231. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2012.03.027
- Binder CR; Schmid A; Steinberger JK (2012) Sustainability solution space of the Swiss milk value added chain, Ecological Economics, 83, pp.210-220. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2012.06.022
- Erb K-H; Mayer A; Krausmann F; Lauk C; Plutzar C; Steinberger JK; Haberl H (2012) The interrelations of future global bioenergy potentials, food demand and agricultural technology, In: Gasparatos A; Stromberg P (Ed) Socioeconomic and environmental impacts of biofuels: Evidence from developing nations, Cambridge University Press, pp.27-52.
- Steinberger JK; Timmons Roberts J; Peters GP; Baiocchi G (2012) Pathways of human development and carbon emissions embodied in trade, Nature Climate Change, 2, pp.81-85. doi: 10.1038/nclimate1371
- Bai X; Dhakal S; Steinberger J; Weisz H (2012) Drivers of urban energy use and main policy leverages, Energizing Sustainable Cities: Assessing Urban Energy, pp.119-134. doi: 10.4324/9780203110126
- Haberl H; Erb KH; Krausmann F; Bondeau A; Lauk C; Müller C; Plutzar C; Steinberger JK (2011) Global bioenergy potentials from agricultural land in 2050: Sensitivity to climate change, diets and yields, Biomass and Bioenergy, 35, pp.4753-4769. doi: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2011.04.035
- Baynes T; Lenzen M; Steinberger JK; Bai X (2011) Comparison of household consumption and regional production approaches to assess urban energy use and implications for policy, Energy Policy, 39, pp.7298-7309. doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2011.08.053
- Fischer-Kowalski M; Steinberger JK (2011) Social metabolism and hybrid structures, Journal of Industrial Ecology, 15, pp.642-644. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00373.x
- Gingrich S; Kušková P; Steinberger JK (2011) Long-term changes in CO2 emissions in Austria and Czechoslovakia-Identifying the drivers of environmental pressures, Energy Policy, 39, pp.535-543. doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2010.10.006
- Sahakian MD; Steinberger JK (2011) Energy Reduction Through a Deeper Understanding of Household Consumption: Staying Cool in Metro Manila, Journal of Industrial Ecology, 15, pp.31-48. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2010.00305.x
- Steinberger JK; Krausmann F (2011) Material and energy productivity, Environmental Science and Technology, 45, pp.1169-1176. doi: 10.1021/es1028537
- Wiedenhofer D; Lenzen M; Steinberger JK (2011) Spatial and Socio-Economic Drivers of Direct and Indirect Household Energy Consumption in Australia, In: Newton PW (Ed) Urban Consumption, Collingwood: CSIRO Publishing, pp.251-266.
- Steinberger JK; Roberts JT (2010) From constraint to sufficiency: The decoupling of energy and carbon from human needs, 1975-2005, Ecological Economics, 70, pp.425-433. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2010.09.014
- Weisz H; Steinberger JK (2010) Reducing energy and material flows in cities, Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 2, pp.185-192. doi: 10.1016/j.cosust.2010.05.010
- Steinberger JK; Krausmann F; Eisenmenger N (2010) Global patterns of materials use: A socioeconomic and geophysical analysis, ECOL ECON, 69, pp.1148-1158. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2009.12.009
- Binder CR; Feola G; Steinberger JK (2010) Considering the normative, systemic and procedural dimensions in indicator-based sustainability assessments in agriculture, Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 30, pp.71-81. doi: 10.1016/j.eiar.2009.06.002
- Kennedy C; Steinberger J; Gasson B; Hansen Y; Hillman T; Havranek M; Pataki D; Phdungsilp A; Ramaswami A; Mendez GV (2010) Methodology for inventorying greenhouse gas emissions from global cities, Energy Policy, 38, pp.4828-4837. doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2009.08.050
- Kennedy C; Steinberger J; Gasson B; Hansen Y; Hillman T; Havránek M; Pataki D; Phdungsilp A; Ramaswami A; Mendez GV (2009) Greenhouse gas emissions from global cities, Environmental Science and Technology, 43, pp.7297-7302. doi: 10.1021/es900213p
- Steinberger JK; Friot D; Jolliet O; Erkman S (2009) A spatially explicit life cycle inventory of the global textile chain, International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 14, pp.443-455. doi: 10.1007/s11367-009-0078-4
- Steinberger JK; van Niel J; Bourg D (2009) Profiting from negawatts: Reducing absolute consumption and emissions through a performance-based energy economy, Energy Policy, 37, pp.361-370. doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2008.08.030
- Landhuis D; Matos L; Moss SC; Steinberger JK; Vant K; Willmann L; Greytak TJ; Kleppner D (2003) Inelastic collision rates of trapped metastable hydrogen, Physical Review A - Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, 67, .
- Kaspi VM; Chakrabarty D; Steinberger J (1999) Precision timing of two anomalous X-ray pulsars, Astrophysical Journal, 525, .
- Keating B; Timbie P; Polnarev A; Steinberger J (1998) Large angular scale polarization of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the feasibility of its detection, Astrophysical Journal, 495, pp.580-596. doi: 10.1086/305312