Dr Julia Leventon
Lecturer in Environmental Change and Development
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: J.Leventon@leeds.ac.uk
I joined the University of Leeds in October 2011 as a research fellow and recently progressed to lecturer. While at Leeds, my work has focussed on climate compatible development in sub-Saharan Africa.
I completed my PhD at the Central European University in Hungary. My PhD was funded by a Marie Curie Early Stage Researcher fellowship through the Aquatrain research training network. The fellowship included two six-month secondments to the Technical University of Crete (Greece) and the EC Joint Research Centre (Italy).
Prior to beginning my academic career, I have worked in environmental consultancy (EIA and renewable energy) in the UK, and for a non-profit organisation in Lima, Peru. Indeed, my time in Peru sparked my interest in the interactions between people and their physical environment and the implications for management.
I combine work with a love of running, travel and languages.
For more information on me and my research, follow me on twitter or visit my blog:
PhD Environmental Policy (2011, Summa cum laude), Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
MSc. International Development: Environment and Development (2007, Distinction), Institute of Development Policy and Management, University of Manchester, UK
BSc. (Hons) Environmental Science (2006, First), School of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Science, University of Manchester, UK
Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
Member of the Development Studies Association
I am an interdisciplinary environmental social scientist working to understand policy implementation and formulation in the field of natural resource management. My research examines governance networks, including the ideas and actions of policy actors, and the structures that shape them. My approach to research ensures that I consider the multi-level, interdisciplinary nature of governance networks.
I use mixed methods including stakeholder analysis, elite interview and participatory methods.
In-depth case studies have included the management of arsenic in groundwater and soils in Europe and ecosystem services in sub-Saharan Africa.
Environmental Science for Environmental Management to first year undergraduates; and
Poverty, Environment and Sustainable Development to second year undergraduates.
I also contribute research-based case studies to other modules.
- Abson DJ; Fischer J; Leventon J; Newig J; Schomerus T; Vilsmaier U; von Wehrden H; Abernethy P; Ives CD; Jager NW; Lang DJ (2017) Leverage points for sustainability transformation, Ambio, 46, pp.30-39. doi: 10.1007/s13280-016-0800-y
- Ekroos J; Leventon J; Fischer J; Newig J; Smith HG (2017) Embedding Evidence on Conservation Interventions Within a Context of Multilevel Governance, Conservation Letters, 10, pp.139-145. doi: 10.1111/conl.12225
- Leventon J; Fleskens L; Claringbould H; Schwilch G; Hessel R (2016) An applied methodology for stakeholder identification in transdisciplinary research, Sustainability Science, 11, pp.763-775. doi: 10.1007/s11625-016-0385-1
- Horcea-Milcu AI; Leventon J; Hanspach J; Fischer J (2016) Disaggregated contributions of ecosystem services to human well-being: a case study from Eastern Europe, Regional Environmental Change, 16, pp.1779-1791. doi: 10.1007/s10113-016-0926-2
- Schwilch G; Bernet L; Fleskens L; Giannakis E; Leventon J; Marañón T; Mills J; Short C; Stolte J; Van Delden H; Verzandvoort S (2016) Operationalizing ecosystem services for the mitigation of soil threats: A proposed framework, Ecological Indicators, 67, pp.568-597. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2016.03.016
- Dorresteijn I; Milcu AI; Leventon J; Hanspach J; Fischer J (2016) Social factors mediating human-carnivore coexistence: Understanding thematic strands influencing coexistence in Central Romania, Ambio, 45, pp.490-500. doi: 10.1007/s13280-015-0760-7
- Leventon JS; Bauer PJ (2016) Emotion regulation during the encoding of emotional stimuli: Effects on subsequent memory, Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 142, pp.312-333. doi: 10.1016/j.jecp.2015.09.024
- Nieto-Romero M; Milcu A; Leventon J; Mikulcak F; Fischer J (2016) The role of scenarios in fostering collective action for sustainable development: Lessons from central Romania, Land Use Policy, 50, pp.156-168. doi: 10.1016/j.landusepol.2015.09.013
- Leventon J (2015) Explaining implementation deficits through multi-level governance in the EU"s new member states: EU limits for arsenic in drinking water in Hungary, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 58, pp.1137-1153. doi: 10.1080/09640568.2014.916611
- Whitfield S; Dougill AJ; Dyer JC; Kalaba FK; Leventon J; Stringer LC (2015) Critical reflection on knowledge and narratives of conservation agriculture, Geoforum, 60, pp.133-142. doi: 10.1016/j.geoforum.2015.01.016
- Leventon J; Dyer JC; Van Alstine JD (2015) The private sector in climate governance: Opportunities for climate compatible development through multilevel industry-government engagement, Journal of Cleaner Production, 102, pp.316-323. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.04.125
- Velten S; Leventon J; Jager N; Newig J (2015) What is sustainable agriculture? A systematic review, Sustainability (Switzerland), 7, pp.7833-7865. doi: 10.3390/su7067833
- Dyer J; Stringer LC; Dougill AJ; Leventon J; Nshimbi M; Chama F; Kafwifwi A; Muledi JI; Kaumbu JM; Falcao M; Muhorro S; Munyemba F; Kalaba GM; Syampungani S (2014) Assessing participatory practices in community-based natural resource management: experiences in community engagement from southern Africa., J Environ Manage, 137, pp.137-145. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2013.11.057
- Leventon J; Kalaba FK; Dyer JC; Stringer LC; Dougill AJ (2014) Delivering community benefits through REDD +: Lessons from Joint Forest Management in Zambia, Forest Policy and Economics, . doi: 10.1016/j.forpol.2014.03.005
- Leventon J (2014) Explaining implementation deficits through multi-level governance in the EU's new member states: EU limits for arsenic in drinking water in Hungary, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, . doi: 10.1080/09640568.2014.916611
- Dyer JC; Leventon J; Stringer LC; Dougill AJ; Syampungani S; Nshimbi M; Chama F; Kafwifwi A (2013) Partnership models for climate compatible development: experiences from Zambia, Resources, 2, pp.1-38. doi: 10.3390/resources2010001
- Stringer LC; Dougill AJ; Dyer JC; Leventon J; Vincent K; Fritzsche F; Falcão MP; Manyakaidze P; Syampungani S; Kalaba G; Powell P (2013) Advancing climate compatible development: lessons from southern Africa, Regional Environmental Change, pp.1-13. doi: 10.1007/s10113-013-0533-4
- Dougill AJ; Stringer LC; Leventon J; Riddell M; Rueff H; Spracklen DV; Butt E (2012) Lessons from community-based payment for ecosystem service schemes: from forests to rangelands., Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, 367, pp.3178-3190. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2011.0418
- Leventon J; Antypas A (2012) Multi-level Governance, Multi-level Deficits: The Case of Drinking Water Management in Hungary, Environmental Policy and Governance, 22, pp.253-267. doi: 10.1002/eet.1590