Dr Chris Green
Director of Masters Education; Lecturer
+44(0) 113 34
Email address: email@example.com
Affiliation: Institute of Applied Geoscience
I am a geophysicist specialising in the application of gravity and magnetic methods to geological problems – especially exploration problems.
I have worked at the University of Leeds since 2010, mostly focusing on the MSc in Exploration Geophysics. I was project manager for the first EAGE Geophysics Boot Camp in 2011.
Since 1987, I have worked with geoscience consultancy Getech. I was instrumental in spinning out the company from the University of Leeds in 2000 and floating in 2005; I was Technical Director from 2000 to 2007. I have developed techniques and workflows for processing, compilation and interpretation of gravity and magnetic data to contribute to a range of multi-client and proprietary studies. I have managed a large number of projects including major commercially funded R&D studies.
From 1983 to 1997, I was a Research Assistant at the University of Leeds, working on a range of solid earth geophysics projects, especially: processing and interpretation of land recording of air-gun seismic data and developing the processing and visualisation of seismic exploration for coal.
MSc, University of Leeds, 2009. Sustainability (Business, Environment and Corporate Responsibility)
PhD, University of Leeds, Geophysics, 1997. “Global Gravity Compilation and its Application to Plate Tectonic Reconstruction”
MSc, University of Leeds, 1983. Geophysics
BSc, University of Durham, 1982. Physics
Techniques for interpretation of gravity and magnetic data
Calculation of gravity from satellite altimetry data
Application of gravity and magnetic data and methods to geological interpretation and plate tectonics
I teach a module in Gravity and Magnetic Methods for the MSc Exploration Geophysics course and a part module on the same subject for the MSc Structural Geology with Geophysics course.
- Abdalla A; Green C (2016) Utilisation of Fast Fourier Transform and Least-squares Modification of Stokes formula to compile a gravimetric geoid model over Khartoum State: Sudan, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 9, . doi: 10.1007/s12517-015-2117-8
- Salem A; Green C; Stewart M; De Lerma D (2016) Inversion of gravity data with isostatic constraints, GEOPHYSICS, 79, pp.A45-A50. doi: 10.1190/geo2014-0220.1
- Fairhead JD; Green CM (2015) Generating a high-resolution global magnetic model for oil and mineral exploration, The Leading Edge, 34, pp.1096-1102. doi: 10.1190/tle34091096.1
- Mazur S; Campbell S; Green C; Bouatmani R (2015) Extension across the Laptev Sea continental rifts constrained by gravity modeling, Tectonics, 34, pp.435-448. doi: 10.1002/2014TC003590
- Salem A; Blakely R; Green C; Fairhead D; Ravat D (2014) Estimation of depth to top of magnetic sources using the local-wavenumber approach in an area of shallow Moho and Curie depth-The Red Sea, Interpretation, 2, pp.SJ1-SJ8. doi: 10.1190/INT-2013-0196.1
- Salem A; Green C; Cheyney S; Fairhead J; Aboud E; Campbell S (2014) Mapping the depth to magnetic basement using inversion of pseudogravity: Application to the Bishop model and the Stord Basin, northern North Sea, Interpretation, 2, pp.T69-T78. doi: 10.1190/INT-2013-0105.1
- Salem A; Green C; Ravat D; Singh KH; East P; Fairhead JD; Mogren S; Biegert E (2014) Depth to Curie temperature across the central Red Sea from magnetic data using the de-fractal method, Tectonophysics, 624-625, pp.75-86. doi: 10.1016/j.tecto.2014.04.027
- Fairhead JD; Green CM; Masterton SM; Guiraud R (2013) The role that plate tectonics, inferred stress changes and stratigraphic unconformities have on the evolution of the West and Central African Rift System and the Atlantic continental margins, Tectonophysics, . doi: 10.1016/j.tecto.2013.03.021
- Salem A; Green C; Campbell S; Fairhead JD; Cascone L; Moorhead L (2013) Moho depth and sediment thickness estimation beneath the Red Sea derived from satellite and terrestrial gravity data, GEOPHYSICS, 78, pp.G89-G101. doi: 10.1190/GEO2012-0150.1
- Mazur S; Green C; Stewart MG; Whittaker JM; Williams S; Bouatmani R (2012) Displacement along the Red River Fault constrained by extension estimates and plate reconstructions, Tectonics, 31, . doi: 10.1029/2012TC003174
- Salem A; Lei KX; Green C; Fairhead JD; Stanley G (2010) Removal of cultural noise from high-resolution aeromagnetic data using a two stage equivalent source approach, EXPLOR GEOPHYS, 41, pp.163-169. doi: 10.1071/EG09047
- Fairhead JD; Williams SE; Fletcher KMU; Green CM; Vincent K (2009) Trident - A new satellite gravity model for the oceans, 71st European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers Conference and Exhibition 2009: Balancing Global Resources. Incorporating SPE EUROPEC 2009, 2, pp.853-857.
- Bansal AR; Fairhead JD; Green CM; Fletcher KMU (2005) Revised gravity for offshore India and the isostatic compensation of submarine features, TECTONOPHYSICS, 404, pp.1-22. doi: 10.1016/j.tecto.2005.03.017
- Fairhead JD; Green CM; Fletcher KMU (2004) Hydrocarbon screening of the deep continental margins using non-seismic methods, First Break, 22, pp.59-64.
- Verduzco B; Fairhead JD; Green CM; MacKenzie C (2004) New insights into magnetic derivatives for structural mapping, Leading Edge, 23, pp.116-119. doi: 10.1190/1.1651454
- Dickson WG; Fryklund RE; Odegard ME; Green CM (2003) Constraints for plate reconstruction using gravity data—implications for source and reservoir distribution in Brazilian and West African margin basins, Marine and Petroleum Geology, 20, pp.309-322. doi: 10.1016/s0264-8172(03)00039-4
- Fairhead JD; Green CM; Blitzkow D (2003) The use of GPS in gravity surveys, Leading Edge, 22, pp.954-959. doi: 10.1190/1.1623636
- Fairhead JD; Green CM; Odegard M (2001) Satellite-derived gravity having an impact on marine exploration, Leading Edge, 20, pp.873-876. doi: 10.1190/1.1487298
- Fairhead JD; Green CM; Dickson WG (2001) Oil exploration from space: fewer places to hide, First Break, 19, pp.514-519.
- Maus S; Green CM; Derek Fairhead J (1998) Improved ocean-geoid resolution from retracked ERS-1 satellite altimeter waveforms, Geophysical Journal International, 134, pp.243-253. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-246X.1998.00552.x
- Green CM; Fairhead JD (1998) Satellite derived gravity: where we are and what next, Leading Edge, pp.77-79.
- OLGIATI A; BALMINO G; SARRAILH M; GREEN CM (1995) GRAVITY-ANOMALIES FROM SATELLITE ALTIMETRY - COMPARISON BETWEEN COMPUTATION VIA GEOID HEIGHTS AND VIA DEFLECTIONS OF THE VERTICAL, B GEOD, 69, pp.252-260.
- FAIRHEAD JD; GREEN CM (1989) CONTROLS ON RIFTING IN AFRICA AND THE REGIONAL TECTONIC MODEL FOR THE NIGERIA AND EAST NIGER RIFT BASINS, J AFR EARTH SCI, 8, pp.231-249.
- GREEN CM; STUART GW; LUND CE; ROBERTS RG (1988) P-WAVE CRUSTAL STRUCTURE OF THE LAKE VANERN AREA, SWEDEN - EUGENO-S PROFILE-6, TECTONOPHYSICS, 150, pp.349-361.
- Booth AD; Vandeginste V; Pike D; Abbey R; Clark RA; Green CM; Howland N (Accepted) Geochemical insight during archaeological geophysical exploration through in situ X-ray fluorescence spectrometry, Archaeological Prospection, . doi: 10.1002/arp.1575